Microsoft Office 2007 Beta 2 is now available

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Office 2007 Beta 2 is now available

Evaluate the next release of Microsoft Office products for testing and planning purposes with 2007 Microsoft Office system Beta 2. The beta release contains all the functionality of the regular release, but is not the final product.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...etthebeta.mspx
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: Microsoft Office 2007 Beta 2 is now available

Thanks for the link. It will be good to try

Comment

Hope you got broadband. It is a doozy on dialup!!
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

While I had Vista on my daughter's machine, I also installed Office 2007. I liked Vista, but absolutely loathe Office 2007. I think it is just too radically different from Office 2003, 2000 & 97. Those three had basically the same interface with very few changes. Office 2007 is just so totally different you might as well go to Linux and install Open Office. I think MS has made a big mistake on this one, but then, what do I know. I only support and install the program, I don't actually use it.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
          While I had Vista on my daughter's machine, I also installed Office 2007. I liked Vista, but absolutely loathe Office 2007. I think it is just too radically different from Office 2003, 2000 & 97. Those three had basically the same interface with very few changes. Office 2007 is just so totally different you might as well go to Linux and install Open Office. I think MS has made a big mistake on this one, but then, what do I know. I only support and install the program, I don't actually use it.

I have to disagree. I've not used it to any great extent but i like it.

Really need to use it to get used to it but as i said first impressions are good.

Personal taste though.

Comment

Wullie I agree about the personal taste comment. But you have to agree that the user interface is just so radically different from the previous 3 versions that there will need to be a positive commitment from any implementers to some serious retraining.

Despite what it seemed like once I reread it,
            but then, what do I know. I only support and install the program, I don't actually use it.
            I wasn't being sarcastic. I type a letter on Word, print a few labels and that is about it. I really don't use any of the wiz bang features or functionalities that it contains. I did however notice thay removed that annoying bloody paperclip! Hooray!!
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Wullie I agree about the personal taste comment. But you have to agree that the user interface is just so radically different from the previous 3 versions that there will need to be a positive commitment from any implementers to some serious retraining.

Despite what it seemed like once I reread it,
              I wasn't being sarcastic. I type a letter on Word, print a few labels and that is about it. I really don't use any of the wiz bang features or functionalities that it contains. I did however notice thay removed that annoying bloody paperclip! Hooray!!
              Yep the interface is radically different but i like it. It seems easier to work with than the old XP/2003 interface. But again just cause i like doesn't mean everyone will.

I know what you mean.

Funny everyone expects you to be an expert in every area of IT, whether you are or not.

The last time i really used Word, Excel, Powerpoint properly was when i was at college. Will i ever use it in anger again?? Probably not.

That damn paperclip as a pest and one of the first things i get rid of.

Comment

I use word A LOT. 600 page documents with tables, graphs, etc. Because I have much to do in a short amount of time I sort of went into shell shock when I saw the new interface.

I wandered around lost for an hour or so trying to figure out how to turn on the table grids in order to view borderless tables and finally gave up and went back to Word 2003.

I have 2007 on a 2nd computer now so I can 'play' with it but I agree with biggles77 that companies/personnel will really have to be dedicated to Microsoft to go thru the learning curve in order to accomplish day to day tasks.

And yes if one has been thinking about making the switch to Open Office or Corel Office this would be time to do it because the interface is so radically different it will be like learning a whole new software program.

Just my 3 cents.

Carol

Comment

Thanks Carol. It is interesting to get a user's opinion of the new interface instead of looking at it from a tech point of view. As each version of Office has been released, MS has thrown more and more functions into it. If 2003 to 2007 is anything like the jump from 97 to 2000, then it maybe worth evaluating it a bit more. I know when I went from DOS/Win3.1 to Win95, I hated it. I uninstalled Win95 after 1 week and went back to what I knew (it didn't help having a PC that was really a bit short of RAM and a bit short of CPU power either).

The added functions maybe worth trying to overcome the shell shock. I wasn't able to play with it long enough to have a good look through, but Vista has an option to revert to the Classic interface. Maybe Office 2007 has a similar option so at least it would look a bit familiar.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I think the big stumbling block will be the new file formats that office will use.

Changed from 2003 to 2007 but can be saved as legacy formats for older version.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
                      I think the big stumbling block will be the new file formats that office will use.

Changed from 2003 to 2007 but can be saved as legacy formats for older version.
                      Publisher and Visio 2003 did the same thing. If you opened up a document created in version 2000 you were prompted that you would be committed to having to use 2003 from that point on. So obviously you backed out, backed up and held your breath and went for it <grin>.

I know when I went from DOS/Win3.1 to Win95, I hated it. I uninstalled Win95 after 1 week and went back to what I knew (it didn't help having a PC that was really a bit short of RAM and a bit short of CPU power either).

The added functions maybe worth trying to overcome the shell shock. I wasn't able to play with it long enough to have a good look through, but Vista has an option to revert to the Classic interface. Maybe Office 2007 has a similar option so at least it would look a bit familiar.
                      Whenever I installed Windows XP for clients I changed the interface back to the more familiar 98/2000 look. Two reasons - I found the XP interface to be a bit 'sweet' for my tastes and another (and more important reason) resources. Once you turned off all the 'stuff' that made XP look the way it did I found computers tended to perform more quickly.

I will dig a bit and see if the same thing can be done in Office 2007. Just being able to auto rotate text in PowerPoint BOTH left and right makes it worth it to try and use the application - no more having to rotate the d*m text boxes by hand if you want the text to face in the one direction it wont go in (I can never remember if its -90 degrees or 90 degrees).

Has anyone found Office 2007 to run quite slowly on their computer?

I have it loaded on a DIY (do it yourself) machine;

Asus P4800 SE MOBO
                      P4 2.8ghz (Prescott)
                      3gb DDR Memory (Crucial)
                      Windows XP
                      300gb HD (Seagate)
                      Nvidia Geforce 4000 video
                      Dual LCD Monitors

Whenver I open any of the applications (especially Outlook) I need to wait 2-3 minutes things to settle down and allow me to use the application.

Programs running in the taskbar:

AVG Virus Protector
                      Spyware Doctor
                      Roboform
                      Netgear Wireless Network

Carol

Comment

Sorry to say m8 but it don't have the option.

Comment

Re: microsoft beta 2007

hi, pls. help me to find the cd key of microsoft beta 2007. i lost my copy of it and i cant save it in my computer. thnx a lot...

Comment

Re: microsoft beta 2007

Originally posted by loujayned View Post
                            hi, pls. help me to find the cd key of microsoft beta 2007. i lost my copy of it and i cant save it in my computer. thnx a lot...
                            Loujayned:
                            If you need a new Beta key, you may still be able to ask Microsoft for another one. If you need to recover the CD key from an existing installation, please say so and someone may be able to help.
                            Please note this site does not allow any software piracy or warez and (to my suspicious mind) your post comes close to the line.

Tom
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Off 2007 has not just gives you the option to save it in Legacy format in addition to that you have a compatability checker

Compatibility mode helps users collaborate with those using previous versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. A file created in previous versions of Office, such as .doc, .xls, and .ppt, are fully functional in compatibility mode in the 2007 Office release. Compatibility mode ensures that the 2007 Office release can open and save files in from previous versions of Office without converting them to the new file formats in the 2007 Office release

See Article:
                              http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office....mspx?mfr=true

Cheers...Britto
                              S. Brittog

------------------------
                              Posts are offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                              X