Word oddity (freezing/stuttering)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word oddity (freezing/stuttering)

I feel like I've scraped the barrel on this, but maybe I've missed something.
    Word seems to randomly freeze/stutter when working on documents. There's no pattern to the issue - it's intermittent. Documents may be on the local file system, or on the network drive - it makes no difference.
    They are NOT big documents - all <1Mb in size, not filled with tables or images or anything. Pretty basic documents. There are devices that are the same within the environment without the same issue.
    It might happen with one document, then when it's reopened, it won't happen - so there;s no pattern to the document.
    There are no addins or macros in use.

Client has a Windows 8 laptop, which originally came with O2010 trial, which has been removed. I have installed Office 2007 Enterprise, and all available patches for both OS and Office.
    When the issue first appeared, we ran a repair on office, which didn't seem to help.
    Then we completely removed office, rebooted.
    Reinstalled office.
    The issue continued to occur.

Based on the fact that nothing else on the laptop exhibited the same problem (outlook was fine while it occured, excel and other office applications didn't have the problem) and the stuttering effect, we decided maybe it might be related to the video driver in some weird way (I've seen this before)
    So the video drivers were reinstalled, and all other hardware drivers and bios were updated.
    Problem persisted.

I've now created a new profile on the computer for the user - the same issue occurs.

the only thing I havne't done is a full wipe/reimage of the machine - but these are commodity hardware from the lowest price, closest officesupplies superstore so I don't have a corporate image I can deploy on it - usually they don't even have restore CDs so I don't know how I'd approach it.

So - any suggestions would be keenly welcomed.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: Word oddity (freezing/stuttering)

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
    I feel like I've scraped the barrel on this, but maybe I've missed something.
    Word seems to randomly freeze/stutter when working on documents. There's no pattern to the issue - it's intermittent. Documents may be on the local file system, or on the network drive - it makes no difference.
    They are NOT big documents - all <1Mb in size, not filled with tables or images or anything. Pretty basic documents. There are devices that are the same within the environment without the same issue.
    It might happen with one document, then when it's reopened, it won't happen - so there;s no pattern to the document.
    There are no addins or macros in use.

Client has a Windows 8 laptop, which originally came with O2010 trial, which has been removed. I have installed Office 2007 Enterprise, and all available patches for both OS and Office.
    When the issue first appeared, we ran a repair on office, which didn't seem to help.
    Then we completely removed office, rebooted.
    Reinstalled office.
    The issue continued to occur.

Based on the fact that nothing else on the laptop exhibited the same problem (outlook was fine while it occured, excel and other office applications didn't have the problem) and the stuttering effect, we decided maybe it might be related to the video driver in some weird way (I've seen this before)
    So the video drivers were reinstalled, and all other hardware drivers and bios were updated.
    Problem persisted.

I've now created a new profile on the computer for the user - the same issue occurs.

the only thing I havne't done is a full wipe/reimage of the machine - but these are commodity hardware from the lowest price, closest officesupplies superstore so I don't have a corporate image I can deploy on it - usually they don't even have restore CDs so I don't know how I'd approach it.

So - any suggestions would be keenly welcomed.
    Bit of a long shot but there are a couple of Office File Validation patches that "could" be the issue.

There are a couple of reg keys if you can be bothered with the installers that appears to turn off File Validation.

Code:
    REG ADD HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Security\FileValidation /v EnableOnLoad /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    REG ADD HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Security\FileValidation /v EnableOnLoad /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    Edit to suit the version

Comment

i will try, thanks
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

In the past I have found this kind of issue was related to the antivirus, I usually add *.doc *.docx to the exclusions. Or even disable/remove the av just to rule it out.
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

thanks - I'll consider this as a next option, however while I don't mind the idea of excluding docs for testing purposes - id on't see it as a long term solution..

Comment

ok. regkey didn't help.
            I'll look at AV exclusions now.

Comment

Working...
            X