No announcement yet.

Microsoft Office responds very slowly

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Office responds very slowly

Hello All,

I am requesting your expert advice regarding the response time for Microsoft Office, in particular Excel 2007 and Word 2007. I have three employees saying they are using excel and when moving from cell to cell there is a noticable delay. This would not be a big problem, but it happens every time the employee wants to move a cell, which can be tideous.

Also, one employee has said it takes about a minute for a simple word file to open and the entire application is slow to type in and edit. At first I said it was probably his older Windows XP machine being slow, but the issue still remains and it would be nice to have the problem resolved.

I have researched both of these issues and the excel forums say to start in safe mode, then rename the registry key, but that does not fix the issue. Also, it is said on most forums the issue lays within the networking. Can somebody please tell me some tricks they use to troubleshoot networking errors such as this?

Here is our network summary:
    We are a financial institution with three branches. Two of the branches have a direct line to the internet and the third shares the internet from one of the two primary branches. We have a VPN across all three branches and routes back to our service provider, which means there is a Juniper firewall at each location. At the two primary branches there is also a Sophos UTM 200 which acts as a web filter and IPS/IDS. We have one DNS server with Server 2008 R2 and that uses AD for all profiles in our institution.

Microsoft Office 2007 info:
    We use Office 2007 pro and the only plugins I know of would be AdobePDF.

If you need more info about our network please ask.

Thank You,

Re: Microsoft Office responds very slowly

Is it on files loaded from the network or stored locally?
    How large are the workbooks or documents?

Also, do some tests yourself and observe the behaviour -- users are very good at whinging if something takes a millisecond longer than they want!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

When I get this type of thing, I start by ruling out the antivirus I add to the antivirus exclusion list *.xls *.xlsx *.doc *.docx
      Word files can be a bit different and they are usually slow because of the templates they are using.
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Just a suggestion for narrowing down the issue.

Disconnect a test PC from the network, to rule out most network related issues.
        Open one of the programs and open a file on which they experienced issues (Copy it to local drive before disconnection NIC) See if problem persists.

If yes, problem is local, if fast, than you start looking at network.

To check where the issue starts on network, open a file on a local server.
        If that fails, you narrowed down the issue to the LAN on site. If Fast, open up file on server at the other end of the VPN etc etc.

Another thing which I experienced in the past is that we had a print driver on a print server which was poorly written. When Excel calculates cells, it relies on printer driver for reasons which I currently cannot recall, and can take time to complete its request if print driver is buggy. So another potential test is deleting print drivers and testing again.

There are many potential factors that influence Office.