Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad performance Word 2007 on new PC

Hi all-

I am fighting extremely poor performance with Work 2007 on my new PC; admittedly, I am working with very large documents and lots of screenshots (documentation). Work performs acceptably on my personal laptop (Sony) and very poorly on my Work Laptop (HP)

Why I am concerned is that I am moving from:

a Sony Windows 7 laptop (core i7 [email protected] GHZ - 8 GB of RAM - 5400 RPM Drive) where word performs just fine

To:

HP EliteBook (core [email protected] GHZ - 32 GB of RAM - 7200 RPM Drive)

Shouldn't the HP just smoke the Sony? I would think so!

Any ideas?

Re: Bad performance Word 2007 on new PC

How do you define "poor" performance (be specific)?

One issue you may find on a work (domain member) is delays opening / saving files as the application tries to find network drives / remote paths that are not present on a home machine.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Poor performance is anytime my brand-new HP under-performs my two-year old Sony.

There is no domain, no network file paths. The autosave location is in My Documents.

The issue is getting so bad, that I must quit working for 60-90 seconds every 10 minutes, while autosave works. Also, every time I create a list or insert an end-note/footnote, the screen goes white-ish while the document re-paginates. This process was almost instant on my Sony!

Yes, I know I can turn-off autosave (or decrease its frequency), but I am loathe to do that, given the propensity for Word 2007 to crash resulting in lost data.

My Sony barely takes a second for autosave, my HP takes almost a minute!

-Help
      Last edited by unsichtbarre; 4th March 2012, 22:11.

Comment

different paging file configurations?
        run a chkdsk ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Done and done. You'd think that with 32 GB RAM, the paging file would be unimportant.

I've even tried no paging file.

I even created an 8 GB RAM Disk for the autosaves, and that didn't speed things up!

In truth this is a 500+ page manual that I am working with, but my Sony handles it fine. When I to generated a PDF (using Acrobat Professional), the whole system crashed!

I was lucky to save the doc to a flash drive and transfer it to the sony to output to PDF

Comment

Is this an out-of-the box (HP bloatware) installation of Windows or a clean one?
            (and I presume, from the RAM, it is 64-bit?)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

it is out-of-box W7 professional X64. Bloatware wasnt too bad, quite a bit of something called "HP Protect"

Comment

I have a thought.

Is it in any way possible to take the 32GB from the new laptop, and put it in the old one. (and sit the 8GB to the side)
                then see if the same issue occurs on the old laptop ?

(i'm wondering if word is just chuckin a fit because it has too much ram..)
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

sony is ddr2 and hp is ddr3. I could pull 16 GB from the HP, but the other 16 is a real pain to get at, its under the keyboard.

Comment

I just ordered a ssd, i think i will re-install W7-X64, but I will use the Enterprise KN edition for minimum bloat.
                    I need this laptop to do three things well:
                    • Manage large documents
                    • Edit large images
                    • Run several substantial VM's

Comment

Have you run any diag tools on the HP? It does sound a bit sick and although not a big fan of HP laptops (and an even bigger dislike of Sony), the HP is a descent machine with good performance. My guess is that something is wrong or it has been misconfigured.

Check for updates, especially BIOS ones.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X