X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel file in use by 'another user'

Hi all,

Here's my scenario -

One of our customers is running Office 2007 on a Server 2008 terminal server and connecting to various shared folders on an SBS2008 server. When a user tries to open an Excel file they are getting an error stating that the file is open by 'another user' - that is literally what it says complete with the quote marks, not a specific username. If you take the option to notify when it becomes available the file will then open and as soon as it has opened will notify you that it is now available for read/write. Once you re-open it r/w there are no further problems with saving the file but if you close it and open it again you have to go through the same steps.

Checking on the SBS server that file does not show anyone accessing it (checking open files in computer management) when this error comes up and I have also run a file unlocker against it which shows no locks. If I browse to the file on the SBS box I can cut and paste it to another folder with no errors. All users have full access to the shared folders and I get the same symptoms logged in as the administrator account. It is not specific to 1 file or folder.

Anyone else come across this or got any suggestions on how to resolve it??

Re: Excel file in use by 'another user'

change the window view of the share to list or similar, without details (or previous).
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks Lior_S, you pointed me in the right direction but it wasn't just a case of changing the view to list or small icons or whatever but you need to turn of the bottom preview bar in the options. Now all I need to do is deploy that via a group policy

Comment

(or previous)
        my error here, was meant to say previews, but glad you figured it out.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

not a problem and I found the setting in group policy, deployed it and it tested out fine

Comment

Working...
          X