​Open corrupt word doc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​Open corrupt word doc

I am trying to help someone who has a problem with a password protected word doc. They renamed the doc to document.rtf and tried to open in wordpad which opened but unreadable.

I believe they then saved the doc in word pad as an rtf.

Is there anyone out of this? Have tried changing the file extension back and also saving as doc in wordpad.

Any help is appreciated.

Are backups or shadow copies available?
    If so, restore to a previous version.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can use Open and Repair feature of MS Office to repair unreadable or corrupt MS Word file, Here are the steps to repair the corrupt Word file To open a specific document by using the Open and Repair feature in Word, follow these steps or if you got severe corruption use [MOD EDIT COMMERCIAL LINK DELETED]

1. Start Word.
      2. On the File menu, click Open.
      Note In Word 2007 or Word 2010, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.
      3. In the Open dialog box, click to select the file that you want to open.
      4. Click the down arrow on the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.
      Last edited by Ossian; 21st July 2015, 17:37.

Comment

If you suspect a document is corrupt and you can still open the document, these steps represent the "tried and true" first line of trying to recover the document:
        Open the corrupt document.
        Create a brand new document.
        Switch to the corrupt document.
        Press Ctrl+A. This selects the entire document.
        Hold down the Shift key as you press the Left Arrow key. This makes sure that the very last character in the document (the ending paragraph mark) is not selected.
        Press Ctrl+C. This copies the selected portion of the document to the Clipboard.
        Switch to the new document (the one created in step 2).
        Press Ctrl+V. The contents of the Clipboard are pasted into the blank document.
        Save the new document.
        Close the document you suspect is corrupted.

Resources that are more useful see below...
        http://community.office365.com/en-us.../t/263519.aspx
        https://social.technet.microsoft.com...itprovistaapps

Comment

Originally posted by janmarelsson View Post
          I am trying to help someone who has a problem with a password protected word doc. They renamed the doc to document.rtf and tried to open in wordpad which opened but unreadable.

I believe they then saved the doc in word pad as an rtf.

Is there anyone out of this? Have tried changing the file extension back and also saving as doc in wordpad.

Any help is appreciated.
          You are not waiting for my reply here, are you? The thread was started on July 2015, +1 year ago. Though I know it wouldn't be useful for the user who actually started this thread, but still the concerned topic is quite hot in these days, i.e. corruption in Word documents. I've found many questions like this on other forums and discussion sites. Generally, people recommend paid software. But I never recommend such dubious tools to anyone. I believe on manual tricks which can easily give you good results same as a professional tool does. So when I can do something manually, why would I spend my money on purchasing paid software? I'm not that stupid.

If any Word user is facing corruption in its documents, I've got something here which would be useful. To repair Word document, I can recommend few easy manual tricks which don't require any paid software. Describing each and every trick here would be time consuming. Instead of that, I can share a blog post here what I found a couple of weeks ago on N. Sem's Blog:

http://wordpress.semnaitik.com/2013/...ment-manually/

In this blog post, you'll find few manual tricks to repair Word documents. I won't recommend any third-party tool here. You should repair Word document manually.

Regards.

Comment

Working...
          X