Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving excel 2007 to excel 2003 -> file size very big

Hi all,

Now I'm using office 2007, sometimes I need to saving file to office 2003 format to send other people.

Xlsx file size is only ~ 3MB, however, when I saving as office 2003 format, the file size increase to ~ 25MB.

How can I reduce the size of converted file? I try to disable macro, add-in in excel however the file size is still big.

Re: Saving excel 2007 to excel 2003 -> file size very big

Could you not just provide a link to the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack - email administrators everywhere will be grateful if you don't have to send 25mb files
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

the XLSX file is just an XML file and some meta files in a ZIP file.
      If you are curious rename it to .zip to check it out.

In your case, if you really need the xls (2003) file, just zip it before sending.
      Or use 7z.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Hi,

I tried to compress file by 7z, file size after is ~ 6MB. It is impossible to send as attached file because of company mail size rule is only allow under 2MB attached.

So do you mean that we have no way to decrease the file size when we saving as from office 2007 to office 2010

However, your information make me clear about xlsx file type :

Somedays ago I download some .pptx files from internet, when it arrived my PC, it appeared as .zip file.
        I tried to unzip it and I couldn't see the .pptx file as I expected, it shows 1 .xml file and some other folders
        From your post, I can get the .pptx file by very simple action is changing .zip to .pptx.

Thanks so much

Comment

Originally posted by huyenthu
          Xlsx file size is only ~ 3MB, however, when I saving as office 2003 format, the file size increase to ~ 25MB.
          Originally posted by huyenthu
          I tried to compress file by 7z, file size after is ~ 6MB. It is impossible to send as attached file because of company mail size rule is only allow under 2MB attached.
          The original XLSX file was 3MB. How were you intending to send it when the email limit was 2MB. With a 2MB email limit the max file size you could send would be about 1.5MB since overheads would consume the rest.

If you need to transfer files abobe that 1.5MB size, I would suggest you talk to your boss and get the size limit lifted or get them to setup an FTP Server so you can then email a link to the file location.
          Departed: 23rd December 2015

Comment

Working...
          X