Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password prompt for connecting to domain

Hi folks
    We've had a busy couple of days migrating a system from 2K3 standard + Exchange to 2K8 SBS Premium. We've had a few issues along the way that we've had to deal with and most are now sorted.

There is one that we're a bit stuck with.

During the SBS migration, most of the PCs automatically reconnected to the new exchange server. We have experienced no issues with all of our Office 2003 clients however all of the Office 2007 clients have the same problem.

They connect to the server fine and send/receive emails but every now and then a password prompt pops up. We can't figure out exactly what is bringing this up as everything seems to work.

The one thing I have noticed is that the password prompt comes up as connecting to "ad.domain.tld" rather than "server.ad.domain.tld". If we put a valid password in, it just gets rejected.

The domain in question here isn't a .local. Its actually hotel.hotelsexternaldomain.co.uk but everythings works fine with that and we didn't set it up originally..

I've tried recreating the Outlook profile. It creates fine but this password issue continues.

Posting here because the issue is isolated to Outlook 2007 clients although it is possibly an Exchange issue..
    Last edited by beddo; 2nd March 2010, 12:38.

Re: Password prompt for connecting to domain

Is the issue happening on the same machince?
    Are you running RPC over HTTP(S) / Outlook Anywhere?
    Did the old profiles have a Certificate that has been superceeded by on in the new setup?
    Does you internal FQDN have .local as its suffix?
    Were the Wizards used to configure the setup or was it done manually?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Is the issue happening on the same machince?
      3 Separate machines

Are you running RPC over HTTP(S) / Outlook Anywhere?
      No

Did the old profiles have a Certificate that has been superceeded by on in the new setup?
      As far as I am aware there are no certs involved. These are local clients that simply connect directly to Exchange in the standard fashion. As mentioned I have tried recreating the profiles so that would wipe out any old settings.

Does you internal FQDN have .local as its suffix?
      No, third to last paragraph in the my first post gives the details of the domain name (we didn't set it up that way, it was inherited..)

Were the Wizards used to configure the setup or was it done manually?
      The migration answer file (with each step confirmed manually) and then the post install migration wizard were used to configure 2008 SBS. I can't say how the old server was initially set up though.

Capitalisation is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
      Nice
      Last edited by beddo; 22nd February 2010, 10:23.

Comment

For anyone else experiencing these issues, apparently they are caused by some December MS updates. There is a fix included in the Exchange Update Rollup 9. This is not yet delivered automatically through Microsoft Updates, however you can deploy it through WSUS or download it separately.

Comment

Thanks for the update Beddo, it is much appreciated.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X