Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue with customizing office 2007 installation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with customizing office 2007 installation?

I use word, excel, and ppt only in MS office 2007 pack.
    I would like to install only these applications.So, that it will free up memory space.
    I have googled and tried to perform the steps in the following website.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311241

I have typed "D:\Microsoft Office 2007\setup.exe\admin" in the run window and hit Enter key.
    I am getting the following message. "Windows cannot find.D:\Microsoft Office 2007. Make sure

you have typed the name correctly". But, I have typed the path correctly.
    Is there any alternate way to customize installation?
    Thank you.

Re: Issue with customizing office 2007 installation?

So this is for your use only on Windows XP SP3? Why not just install from the DVD, select custom install, and pick the components you want?

Comment

Originally posted by bspkumar View Post
      "D:\Microsoft Office 2007\setup.exe\admin"
      Are you sure that's not supposed to be setup.exe /admin ? Since that's what it tells you to enter in the article you linked to...
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Let me explain you what I have tried.

1. I have tried to install the only the required applications by choosing the "custom" option after incerting the MS office CD. I have choosen MS word to install but, it has installed all the applications in the office package.

2.So, I have uninstalled unnecessary applications using the MS uninstaller cleanup utility. But, it has uninstalled the MS word as well.

3.Next, I have tried to custom install the MS office in the method mentioned in the following websites.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/office-tips/...ustom-install/
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311241

But, I am getting sytax error after typing the command D:\Microsoft Office

2007\setup.exe\admin. I have tried "D:\Microsoft Office 2007\setup.exe /admin" as well, with space after setup.exe and without space after setup.exe.

Thank you for your time.

Comment

Are you putting quotes around the command (required since there are spaces in the path)
          Also the MS article refers to the installation CD -- IIRC the setup program is in the root of the drive so try

D:\setup.exe /admin (where D is the letter for your optical drive)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have tried it both ways, with quotes and without quotes.
            But, I am getting the same error message.

I have one doubt.
            I have installed xp 2 days back.
            I have partition hard disk into C,D,E,F,G
            In general the OS will assign 'G' letter to the optical drive. But, it has assigned 'D' letter.
            Do this will affect the current issue that I am experiencing?

I have tried copying all the contents of the MS office CD into a folder in the hard disk and performed the above steps. It was also not work out.

Do you think Open Office as the perfect alternative to MS office?
            My concern is that MS office is occupying more memory space.

Thank you.

Comment

Why don't you go into disk management and assign a higher drive letter to the optical drive, then reboot?

As far as open office goes, you are the only one who can judge -- IMHO I prefer office, but thats MY take on it

RAM is very cheap so if that is your only issue, buy more -- how much do you have?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Actually, we are installing systems ( just 4 systems ) in a orphanage school.
                The systems are old and have very low hardware configuration.
                Some are with 512 and remaining are with 256 MB of RAM and P3 processors.
                We have yet to collect donations to upgrade the hardware.

And, I have changed the drive letter for optical drive. But, issue remains same.

Thank you.

Comment

The issue has solved.

Customizing office 2007 installation ( Install only required applications ) :

Incert the office CD. The installation program asks for the Product Key, then moves on to 'Accept the terms of this Agreement' and then to a screen where you choose 'Install Now' or Customize'. Choose Customize.

On the Installation Options tab you see a list showing the components of Office - icons labelled MS Excel, MS Outlook and so on. There is a '+' to the left of each icon and a down arrow on the right of each icon.

Click the down arrow on the Excel icon and select 'Run from My Computer'. Do the same with the Word and PPT icons.

Now click the down arrow for Outlook and select 'Not Available'. Do the same for the Visio Viewer, Shared Features and Office Tools icons. You are now ready to install. Click Install Now. When finished click Close.

You will find only Word, Excel and PPT are installed.

Comment

Well done!
                    But why on earth did you try doing an admin install in the first place?
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

The mistake is that I have asked my friend to buy an MS office 2007 CD which is licensed for multiple computers.
                      But, mistakenly he bought the disk which licensed for single computer.

I have rechecked it with Microsoft and confirmed that it is only for single computer.It is my bad luck.

I have again googled and find an article by an MVP which describes the customization of office installation.
                      Last edited by bspkumar; 29th September 2009, 17:19.

Comment

Working...
                      X