Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any specific licensing info on the Office Home Use Program?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any specific licensing info on the Office Home Use Program?

Hello!

I have software assurance for a Office 2007 VLK contract and have deployed our Home Use Program. However, after days of scouring the web for specific license terms for the program, I've come up mostly blank. Here's my specific situation:

Small office purchased Office 07 standard. HUP for the employees gives them Office Enterprise for just $9.95. Ent Edition adds things like Groove, Infopath, Publisher, etc. Inevitable, it will be desired to use those extra programs in a business sense. Possibly Groove first of all.

Here are my specific questions:
    • What constitutes a "home computer"? Some people use their personal laptops at work. Others use their "work" laptops at home. It's an informal small office and the liklihood of making a distcinction between work and home equipment is low, especially given the depressed economy and the fact that this is a non-profit in an especially depressed sector of non-profits in an especially depressed city.
    • It would be nice to use Groove in the office, but I suspect that using the HUP license to install Groove on office computers would be a violation. However, I come back to that "what is a home computer" problem when some folks use their home computer in the office and others have a company purchased laptops that is used at home in off hours.

Here are the information sources I've come up with so far that haven't specifically answered my question:

The more useful links were:

All of this has me a little flustered and also a bit confused that MSFT, lord of the EULAs, does not have a readily accessible EULA for the HUP. Does anyone have an leads I could go off of?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: Anyone have any specific licensing info on the Office Home Use Program?

Yes........err, what was your question again?

The organisation I work within has a site licence with the evil empire. If you want to install the software on a home device then you purchase the required software (Office 2007) through their local agent and as in your case it is $9.90. This allows you to install said software on ONE and one only device.

Previously the licence allowed you to install what was on your VLK device a copy on a device you used at home for work purposes. This has now been changed. Probably because it was being severely abused.

A company supplied laptop that is also used at home is not a home device you plonker. It is supplied by and owned by the company therefore it is by definition a non home device. If the device is a private/personally purchased and private/personally owned device that is used at home (or by the owners choice at work) it is a home device and as such does not fall under the cover of the VLK.

Make sense?

:yawn: I am sleepy now Wesley. Will finish your novel tomorrow.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Make sense?
      None whatsoever, but we have some lovely parting gifts for you. :P
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Seriously, if the device is privately owned then it needs the Home User licence.

If the device is owned or supplied by the company then you can use the VLK on it. HOWEVER, once the device is no longer operated by the company then the VLK install MUST be removed and replaced with the OEM version that the device came with.

Please send my farting gifts to 1313 Mockingbird Lane.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X