Outlook won't open

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook won't open

Hi, I have found that Outlook 2007 won't open sometimes. It looks as if it's not properly closing because when I try to open it, there are two copies of outlook in the task manager process list.

I have done a repair on my outlook file, using the M$ utility. I have uninstalled and re-installed outlook. I have applied the latest updates including SP2. I am running this on Server 2008 32 bit. M$ Office 2007.

Any help?

Re: Outlook won't open

Hi,

Any events logged on the application or MS office logs?
    Also have a look at this: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=940226&SD=tech
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

ID: 6, Application Name: Microsoft Office Outlook, Application Version: 12.0.6504.5000, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.6425.1000. This session was terminated unexpectedly.

This is possibly because using taskman to terminate one of the two sessions so the other will finish loading.

I have looked at other threads (as well as the link you posted). Many point to add on's. The only non-default add on that I have is AVG Network Edition Virus Scan for Outlook.

I am turning that off as the on-demand protection should be fine and to see if that is the culprit.

Brx duh uljkw exw lw zdv ixq wr wub!
      Last edited by chakotay2; 24th June 2009, 09:37.

Comment

Originally posted by chakotay2 View Post
        I am running this on Server 2008 32 bit. M$ Office 2007.
        Do you mean you are literally running Office on the Server? Is this in a TS situation, or for another reason?
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, it's a small office and they want to use the server as a desktop to save money.

I have given my advice on how this isn't a great idea but in this economy they want to hold off on buying a replacement computer and let a server be a server. So in the mean time, I have to see if I can make it work.

Comment

How big / small is this company?
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

10 computers + server.

And in this economy they are having a tough time so I am trying to do my best to help them given what they have.

Comment

I'm wondering why they didn't go with SBS actually.

Anyway, you may want to look into running a VM on the server.

Comment

So you think that Outlook is not compatable with Server 2008 and that may be the issue?

Comment

Not a clue. Don't know anyone who's tried.

Comment

Originally posted by chakotay2 View Post
                      Yes, it's a small office and they want to use the server as a desktop to save money.

I have given my advice on how this isn't a great idea but in this economy they want to hold off on buying a replacement computer and let a server be a server. So in the mean time, I have to see if I can make it work.
                      I hope you have made your objections known in writing (email) because when the user on the workstation/server clicks the wrong thing and kills DNS (o similar), you know who will get blamed for it.

Don't know where you are but here in OZ you can get a reasonable second hand PC for under AUD$200. Extremely cost effective for keeping your server safe.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I don't know whether it's the same on Windows Server or not, but on my test SBS Server, Windows would not let me open Outlook on the physical server.. Or at least, it gives the attached warning..

EDIT: I AM of course ASSUMING that they're using Exchange..

DJ
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by djohn86; 29th June 2009, 07:26. Reason: Listed in post
                        Daniel John
                        A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

************************************************** **********************
                        ************************************************** **********************

Comment

Working...
                        X