Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trusted Certificates for Office - anyone have experience?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trusted Certificates for Office - anyone have experience?

Howdy all,

We are currently in the process of finalizing our roll out plans for Office 2007 and during our discussions with our DBA we've been looking at either setting up 'trusted locations' or 'trusted publisher' as we have several Access db's that users will need to access. We've decided to go with trusted publisher as it would solve any future issues of moving the databases if we need to.

Now I have set up a CA before but I've never had to do anything like this before where we need to get a cert and publish it so that certain Access databases will run without security prompts.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has done this before and if they would be willing to share their experience or point me to some decent documentation on how to set it all up.

Cheers,

Matt

Re: Trusted Certificates for Office - anyone have experience?

This may help.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...71033.aspx#2.2

Shows you how to self certify as well.

Not sure the process with using a CA. Will ask a few colleagues and get back to you either way.

Comment

Thanks,

Unfortuantely we've already seen that article, although it gives a basic idea what we're trying to acheive we're trying to steer away from the DB or Access application being signed by the DBA. That way if or when they leave the organisation we don't have to worry about old cert.

Perferrably what we want to do is;

- set up a CA on one of our servers
      - generate a in-house cert
      - distribute that cert

It's the setting up that I'm not 100% okay with since it's all about trusting locations (e.g. where the files set on the network) and the best method of distributing the cert once it's done.

Thanks again.

MT

Comment

I see. Are you able to give more information on your network? Servers, domain, clients etc.

Have you considered a 3rd Party to issue certificates. If you are just using this internally then you can go with your own CA, it's FOC, depending in your setup.

A 3rd Party will allow trusts outside of your organisation as well without you having to distribute your own to people using the databases.

E.g. I have windows 2003 and created an internal CA in that environment as I needed it for Exchange 2007.

Another of my clients, I had to go down the 3rd Party route through godaddy.

Comment

Thanks V,

2003 Server & AD Domain (2003 native)
          XP SP2 and SP3 clients
          LAN & WAN configuration
          DB's are hosted on file shares and published either through Citrix or direct to the file share (depending on your location in the network)

We have considered a 3rd party as we use one for our OWA site, however considering that the longevity of the DB's are still in question and there are moves afoot to rationalise and their strictly in-house I would rather set up our own CA.

We will also be migrating to Exchange 2007 as well so in-house CA seems to fit into that plan as well. Like I mentioned - I have set up CA's in the past and I'm comfortable with that. It's just the documentation for setting up "trusted publisher" under Office 03/07 is less than friendly and I have yet to find any real-world examples.

Comment

Fair enough I have done it with Office before but will see what I can find out and hopefully get some rea world examples.

Sorry I can' help at the moment. I will try my best.

Comment

Thanks, I really appreciate the assist.

I've got some other feelers out as well and if I come up wth anything I'll post it here.

Matt

Comment

Please do Matt. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X