No announcement yet.

Layers in Visio 2007

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layers in Visio 2007

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know if Visio 2007 has layers similiar to Photoshop. I have a network diagram of my environment and would like to hide information to certain people when I print the network diagram. For example, the auditors do not need to know ethernet port numbers in the offices, but the IT staff does.

Any ideas? I can't find information online. Visio must have this built in, otherwise I have to maintain multiple copies of the same diagram.

I am also open for other network diagramming software (free or paid) if anyone knows of any.
    Last edited by Carbon_Filter; 10th January 2009, 18:48.
    New York City

Re: Layers in Visio 2007

(Thread reported for move to Office forum)

From Visio Help:
    You can add new layers to organize custom categories of shapes, and then assign shapes to those layers:

On the View menu, click Layer Properties, and then click New.
    Type a name for the layer, and then click OK.
    In the Layer Properties dialog box, select the check box in each column for properties that you want the layer to have, if they are not already checked.

When you create a new layer, it is added only to the current page, not to all pages in the file.
    Similarly, when you create a new page, that new page does not inherit layers from the previous page. You must define any layers that you want the new page to have.
    When you copy a shape with a layer assignment from one page to another, either within the same drawing or from one drawing to another, the layer is added to the new page. If the page already has a layer with the same name, the shape is added to the existing layer.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

or review:
      Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Yes, there are layers. Office Online tells how to add layers. There are also some webcasts about building and maintaining IT Infrastructure with Microsoft Office Visio that might be of interest.

Nice find Fred!! Thanks for sharing.
          Departed: 23rd December 2015