Deploy MS OFFICE 2007 Pro Plus from GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploy MS OFFICE 2007 Pro Plus from GPO

I am not sure if this falls under GPO or under office 2007 but here goes.

I am trying to sort through the mess of installing office 2007 through a group policy as a silent intall. I have tried to install through the Custom msp file and i get screen prompts and a configurations even though my batch references the custom msp file. I set the file to do an upgrade and have no interaction but it still comes up with the user interface...

I have also tried to install through the .xml file. NOW the XML file works BUT it installs Office 2007 pro plus ALONG SIDE the current version. how do i get the installation to uninstall the pervious version then install the new version of office from the XML file?

thanks

Re: Deploy MS OFFICE 2007 Pro Plus from GPO

So you're not actually installing the product by assigning it via Group Policy? If that's correct, then this is the correct forum.

You might want to modify your script to uninstall previous versions, before attempting to install 2007.

Without knowing your exact mehod it's difficult to offer any specific advice. Have a read through of http://www.msfn.org/board/Office-200...un-t72392.html
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

well i am using a GPO to deploy and install the product. it is the best way to do for 150 users in my domain rather than touching each desk.

below is the procedure i am using

1. Go to the folder-path, "Office2007\Pro.WW" (or any ??????.WW folder for other editions such as standard/enterprise/etc)
      2. Modify "config.xml", or copy it to somewhere else & modify it, using my posted code below as a sample.
      3. If you modified it "in location", then setup will take up the changes automatically.
      4. Otherwise, place the modified file in the same folder of setup.exe, as custom-uA.XML
      5. This is the command to run setup with the customizations specified in custom-uA.XML: setup.exe /config custom-uA.XML

7. This method is also a great way to make changes to the defaults itself, so that you dont need to keep changing it upon every new time you install it. The sample XML here, makes setup fully silent, cuts down features rarely used by me, and reduces install footprint of Office 2007 Professional from 721 MB, to 303 MB (of course you can always add/remove components later); I've also removed lines that I found useless from it, you might like to keep many of the default lines & customize them. Also, be aware that the XML offers a way to chain updates & install them before or after o2k7 setup, but then you'll lose control over reboot parameters. By default, o2k7 setup wont cause an auto-reboot, so no need of "/noreboot" or "Reboot=ReallySuppress" properties. I intend this XML to be used for clean installs, with no previous version settings or profiles to be migrated. Use "start /wait" for silent installs. This file is for the main suite, you can modify it accordingly for the other component products, the options are commented with double-slashes. I obtained the OptionIds from setup.xml files, in each component folder.

Comment

Originally posted by mlabs View Post
        well i am using a GPO to deploy and install the product. it is the best way to do for 150 users in my domain rather than touching each desk
        Yes. But you also said in your first post that you're using a batch file. So which are you doing - assigning the MSI package via a GPO, or using a batch file to run the installer, which may or may not be set as a Group Policy startup/logon script?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

the office 2007 install uses msi and a configuring xml file. I am trying to figure out how to add an uninstall script to the batch to remove office 2003 first then install 2007

Comment

Use a custom install, "setup.exe /admin" you can then define which previous office products you want uninstalled, kept or upgraded.

Comment

ok i have done that. My problem after that is how to deploy it. I keep reading conflicting articles about how to proceed next . XML? BATCH FILE? Only way for me to get it to work was XML file but it will not remove the previous installations.

please help please.

Comment

Working...
              X