Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access usage & limits

Hi folks!

What limitations or any other issue can there be to use access to collect and store monitoring data?

Basically it is: date, time, decimal numbers or 1/0..not much but is continues process.

Thank you

PS. This is my first post and I hope no rules broken....

Re: Access usage & limits

Far more information required.

How much data are you expecting to collect? What do you intend to do with that data other than just store it? Do you specifically need to store it in Access due to features it offers that (for example) Excel doesn't?

How many people would need to be able to add new data? How many people would need to be able to work with existing data?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi Fred,

The more information you supply the more accurate the responses will be.

What version of access are we talking about?
      and What Monitoring application are you using?

As far as I am aware there is a 2Gb limit on an .Mdb Ms access database.
      For more info : - http://www.databasedev.co.uk/access_specifications.html

Cheers
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

OK, thanks

I did not mentined it was about access 2007 as the post was on category office 2007.

I found http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...307391033.aspx

I would like to use MS Access 2007 as it is easier for the users, simplier for me to create interfaces and reporting.

The project is to read data from some machines, have a linear view for the operators in a PC and store the data for further tabular or graphic reporting for the managers.

I am thinking about it....

Thank you again

Comment

Originally posted by ametushi View Post
          OK, thanks

I did not mentined it was about access 2007 as the post was on category office 2007.
          Sorry, my bad. Didn't notice the category.

Thanks for posting back link about split databases.
          When it comes to MS databases, For me, if it was a choice of Access and MS SQL server Express I have gone for the later because of the obvious advantages, 4Gb Database limit in the 2005 ver. and so on, without thinking much.
          But with the split databases you mention now, the size limit issue can easily be bypassed .
          Not sure if the performance would be the desired one though.

Take care mate
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I would also opt for SQL Server Express. Well actually, I'd opt for MySQL (also free) and build a web-based front-end to deploy with IIS.

It really depends on your skills and what you hope to get out of it.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
            X