User Information not showing in Office 2007 only shows another user

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User Information not showing in Office 2007 only shows another user

I have recently upgraded my users from Office 2003 to Office 2007. We have a couple of Excel spreadsheets that would be edited by several different users. When one user has the sheet locked and someone else tries to open it they are only seeing that the sheet is locked by "another user". I have checked the registry settings under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common \UserInfo and the user information is there and correct.

Is there anyway to force the user information to show so that users can know who has the sheet open?

Thanks,

B.
    Attached Files

Re: User Information not showing in Office 2007 only shows another user

After checking on some Microsoft forums it looks like Excel 2007 doesn't write the owning user's name in the workbook, unlike earlier versions, so it's not available.

Comment

Re: User Information not showing in Office 2007 only shows another user

I have a very similar situation, as we've recently upgraded some PC's from Office XP to Office 2007. When a user with Office XP has an .xlsx file open (this is not an issue with .xls files) and another user with Office 2007 attempts to open the same file, the Office 2007 user only sees that the file is in use by "another user", reather than "File in Use by 'username' ".

I've searched Google (which is where I found your post), as well as the MS Knowledgebase (found nothing on MS at all about this). What I've observed is when I opened the same .xlsx document on two different PC's, both with Office 2007 it does show "File in Use by 'username' ", where username correctly identifies the person who had the document opened first. It was only when the document was opened by user with an older version of Office that it showed "another user".

I posted to a MS Newsgroup about this issue to see if I could get more clarification, and this is the response I got: "Excel XP does not actually open the xlsx file directly. The OpenXML converter utility opens the Excel 2007 file, then writes a temporary file in xls format and hands that over to Excel XP. The converter tool keeps the xlsx file open and obviously does NOT tell the operating system what the user name is."

Do you have any further information on this issue?

Comment

Working...
      X