Excel 2007 Performance Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel 2007 Performance Issues

My agency rolled out Office 2007 last quarter and generally the results were favorable. An exception was the performance of Excel. Several of our heavy users experienced serious performance issue when each tried to use worksheets that
    operated fine in Excel 2000 (we skipped 2003). SP1 has resolved all our known performance issues. The attached graph demostrates some of our findings. I highly reccomend that anyone deploying Office 2007 due so with SP1.

Kevin
    Attached Files

Re: Excel 2007 Performance Issues

Thanks for this post -- good to see that some people are doing this sort of research!

What sort of operations were you doing to generate the performance data?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Here is a quote from the engineer that performed the test:
      Here's some results from a comparison of before and after the SP1 fix. Looks to me like the fix worked. I did the test with a 40 mb workbook that I use to track water levels in the UORB. The workbook consists of numerous data columns (many sites) and 35 graphic pages. There are no macros and a few columns use simple formulas. I used two computers, my personal for Excel 2003 and my office for Excel 2007. Both computers have similar RAM capacity and adequate available virtual memory. The Excel 2003 computer has a 1 ghz faster CPU.
      The workbook I used works fine on the Excel 2003 and worked fine on my office Excel 2000 before the upgrade to Excel 2007.

Comment

Kevin, if you haven't done the testing, please supply the name of the person who has and give them credit for their work. Thanks.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I think from the context of the original post, it is one of his colleagues, rather than information taken from another source.

But a virtual to him anyway
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Kevin, if you haven't done the testing, please supply the name of the person who has and give them credit for their work. Thanks.
            The testing was conducted by staff members of the St. Johns River Water Management District (http://www.sjrwmd.com).

Comment

Working...
            X