Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel Encrytion Problem

Quick question regarding Excel,

Have a customer who is in a mixed environment of 2000, 2003 and 2007 please dont ask

now the accounts have a spreadsheet in Excel 2000 which is password and encrypted, however when they save the file they get the message

"This document is both encrypted and password protected. The Office Open XML Formats available in the 2007 release provide stronger encryption. Do you want to increase the security of this document by converting to an Office XML format"

Obviously we don't want to do that, yet we can not find a away to get rid of that message every time, is they anyway round it?

Any help is appreciated

Cheers

Re: Excel Encrytion Problem

Has anyone found any information on this?

As my office acquires more and more MS office 07 bundles this problem is progressively getting worse. I need a way to answer No to this question or simply not allow it to come up at all. There does not seem to be much information on this topic yet as this thread is the only Google result...

Comment

"This document is both encrypted and password protected. The Office Open XML Formats available in the 2007 release provide stronger encryption. Do you want to increase the security of this document by converting to an Office XML format"

I too have been plagued by this Excel NAG screen. It is VERY annoying. If anyone knows a way to fix this "BUG" in the new EXCEL, please post it!!!

CB from NY

Comment

Using Excel 2007, I have the same stupid message while saving an Excel 97-2003 worksheet inside a VBA macro. It's only a warning, but I don't wan't my users answer Yes. I would like to find a solution to keep .xls format without displaying this warning.

Help !

Comment

Hi all,

Same here, Excel 2007. This is driving me crazy (er) ... has anyone figured out a way to remove this annoying nag yet? Web searches have been fruitless.

Mark in WV

Comment

See if this helps any...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...88d296a63.mspx

Save Excel files as

Applies to: Excel

This setting controls the default file format for saving workbooks in Excel 2007.
            Vulnerability

By default, Excel 2007 saves new workbooks in the Office Open XML format with an .xlsx extension. For users who run Excel 2000 with Service Pack 3, Excel 2002 with Service Pack 3, and Excel 2003 with at least Service Pack 1, Microsoft offers the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack, which enables these versions of Excel to open and save .xlsx files. If some users in your organization cannot install the Compatibility Pack, or are running versions of Excel older than Excel 2000 with Service Pack 3, these users might not be able to access Excel files saved in the .xlsx format.
            Countermeasure

If this setting is Enabled, administrators can set the default file format for Excel 2007 from among the following options:
            •

Excel Workbook (*.xlsx). This option is the default configuration in Excel 2007.
            •

Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm)
            •

Excel Binary Workbook (*.xlsx)
            •

Web Page (*.htm; *.html)
            •

Excel 97-2003 Workbook (*.xls)
            •

Excel 5.0/95 Workbook (*.xls)
            Stacey Smith
            Sr. Systems Engineer

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane --Samuel Clemens

Comment

Originally posted by ssmith View Post
              Thanks for this advice but it'is not a solution for us.
              In our organization, we have several sites abroad and it is nearly impossible to install "Compatibility Pack" on all machines in Africa, in Asia, etc. So, we have to stay in ".XLS" format for the moment.
              We only need a way to bypass this bloady warning inside VBA code.

Is it possible for someone (a MVP going through here ) to open a ticket at Microsoft ? "Plaese Mr Microsoft, add an instruction to ignore this warning in your next service pack".

Comment

I have had the same issue and found the following on MS Forums:

"If administrators want to prevent this security warning they could do so with the
                following regkey (at their own risk):
                [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\C ommon\Security]
                "NoPromptForRC4Encryption"=dword:00000001
                Kind Regards,
                Simon Taylor
                Partner Technical Consultant (PTC) für Gold Certified Partner
                Microsoft Global Partner Support Delivery"

-Zeldarnet

Comment

Working...
                X