Changing IP Address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing IP Address

Some fussy website that allows anyone to covert code in a Basic to a Debian Linux is blocking me from opening it at present, based in my IP Address. Although I have only used the service some dozen times over the last year. I am wary of downloading free or other software from various sites claiming we can use a different IP Address.

But I notice someone is claiming if you switch off your modem for long enough you will be allocated a different IP address automatically. Is this true, if so how long would anyone need to keep the modem switched off?

Actually I only turn my modem power on when using a PC, having found when I did leave it on for all the time for some 10 days when first installed, it made not difference to my Fibre Broadband speed. In fact like many others here in the UK I understand, and no matter how close you are to a Wi-Fi box, we rarely get more than half the maximum speed promised.

Re: Changing IP Address

Gordon, a lot will depend on your ISP and how often they give you a new IP address. Use something like http://www.whatsmyip.org/ to check if it changes after a router reboot.

If it is ADSL, I have seen the same IP address after a short downtime, but different after longer - presumably the ISP returns IPs to a pool after some unspecified duration, but if no-one else gets your old one, your router may get it back. I have no idea how fibre works in this respect. All you can do is experiment

If you are finding your WiFi (within your LAN) is giving different connection speeds, try using an Ethernet cable to your router - things like building construction and other electronic devices can have major effects on WiFi, as can other users of the LAN
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks. Actually I always use Ethernet connection to these 2 PC as the modem is only a foot or so away.

In fact I do not even know how to use Wireless connection, but presume unless you have a laptop with an inbuilt dongle I need to buy a dongle perhaps specially for Wireless Broadband. Then perhaps enter the info on the label at the bottom of the modem somewhere. ------- all very complicated.

Comment

OK - it was the way you referred to WiFi in your original post that confused me - obviously WiFi is really something else!

To answer your question, most home routers will include WiFi and most laptops have it built in, so it is purely a question of giving the laptop the encryptions key from the router. If you have a desktop, you may need a WiFi card or dongle. There is not normally any need for a specific WiFi device at each end as all WiFi should follow agreed standards, but sometimes older equipment may need replacing to get the best possible performance.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks. One more please if I were to setup Wireless broadband on a new Toshiba laptop that presumably has an inbuilt Dongle, could I easily disengage the wireless connection if I wish to use an Ethernet cable instead?

I think I am finding my IP Address is being changed often, not only because I never leave my router on when not in use, but also perhaps because I sometimes use a site such as http://www.whatsmyip.org/ to check the IP Address

Comment

You don't HAVE to disable your wifi connection when you plug in an ethernet cable, but if you want to avoid any issues, then right-click on your networking icon in the system tray, select 'Open Network & Sharing Center'. In the next window, to the left side, click on 'Change adapter settings'. In the next window are icons for all your network connection hardware devices. Right-click on the 'Wireless Network Connection' and select 'Disable'. That shuts the wifi off.

Just remember to go back and click on 'Enable' when you want to use the wifi again! It can be embarrassing when you forget you've done that.
            *RicklesP*
            MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

ya dont have to disable wifi.

Comment

Thanks a pal of mine showed me how to enter the WiFi password by just clicking on the bottom right icon that shows when the Ethernet cable is unplugged with a new Laptop. Then to click on the UK EE Icon.

However it is a pity a phone announcement on the EE number admits like many others and me, we are suffering from EE Broadband problems. My speed is now only 4 Mbps dropped from 16 Mbps with a maximum claimed of 32, and you have to wait ages for any chance of speaking to someone.

Comment

Working...
                X