Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control and Filter Network Traffic

Good Day

I am preparing my network at home for me to make my hands dirty by playing around with filtering and controlling traffic coming in and out of my network including mail flow .etc

I have ADSL Huwei Router, I have a PC installed with Ubuntu Linux server, I have PC running windows Server 2012R2 which is my DC and also Exchange 2013 Ent running on it,

1. I need to configure my Linux Box as a firewall, ( I have a bit of a clue that I need to have two NIC installed on it, but I have no clue what configurations must be made and how)

2. I need be to able to connect to my network even if I am not home via VPN.

Please can I have someone who can patiently guide me through the simple steps, I am not that lazy I can do more research my self but I just need a clue on how to attach this,

I am very new in the field and I believe that there is no other way to learn and become and expect, except for making your hands dirty,

Regards

Thami
    Last edited by thamzo; 3rd February 2015, 15:13.

Re: Control and Filter Network Traffic

That's a lot of detail. Presumably your Windows network is functioning fine. Presumably all you need to do is use the Linux machine as the gateway and install the firewall.

You are right about needing two network cards on the Linux machine. One card will be the interface to your private home network and the other will connect to the router that connects to the Internet - how do you intend to connect the Linux machine to the Internet?

Unless there are some Linux heads here you may need to post on a Linux forum or search for some documentation on implementing a Linux machine as a firewall and configuring access between the Internet and a Windows network.

[Edit]
    Regarding VPN access you can setup port forwarding on the router or the Linux to forward VPN traffic to your Windows Server on which you will have installed NPS/Remote Access Management
    Last edited by Blood; 3rd February 2015, 17:26.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by thamzo View Post
      1. I need to configure my Linux Box as a firewall, ( I have a bit of a clue that I need to have two NIC installed on it, but I have no clue what configurations must be made and how)
      You will need to assign IP addresses to both NICs, and these addresses will have to be in different IP networks/subnets. Since all your systems are probably in the same subnet, either the Huawei router or the other devices will have to be moved to a different subnet. A route for the new network must then be created on the Huawei router, pointing to the Linux server. Are you familiar with basic IP theory regarding networks, routing and subnetting?

The computers in the subnet behind the Ubuntu box will need to be configured to use it as their default gateway. The Linux router must use the Huawei router as its gateway. You must then enable routing on the Linux system.

You will need to check the Ubuntu documentation to find exactly where static IP addresses are configured and where to enable routing. You can do both from the command line, but you need to figure out where Ubuntu stores such settings, otherwise the system will revert to the previous settings at next reboot.
      Originally posted by thamzo View Post
      2. I need be to able to connect to my network even if I am not home via VPN.
      You will need to decide which VPN technology you'd like to use. OpenVPN is cross-platform and quite popular, while SSTP might be a good choice for Windows clients (on the Linux server you will have to install and configure SoftEther).

Depending on your choice of VPN protocol, one or more TCP or UDP ports must be forwarded from the Huawei router to the Linux server. User accounts for the VPN users must then be created on the Linux box, or you could install the Network Policy Server role on the Windows box and authenticate VPN users against Active Directory using RADIUS.

Perhaps you could start by creating a network diagram outlining how everything's supposed to be connected? Make sure to include the IP addresses of each device.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys for your guidance, I am on it from this afternoon, I will keep you updated, or let you know should I get stuck,

Regards

Comment

Working...
        X