Creating A VLAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating A VLAN

I have a dell 2724, and a Dell 2024. I've played around with this before, but i got to be honest. This is by far the most confusing thing i have ever tried to crack in my life. VLAN'S. I just don't get it. No matter how many times i read, create, delete, create, read,watch videos,read, create, watch videos. I CAN HONESTLY SAY I HAVE NOT LEARNED 1 FRICKING THING. NOTHING. I JUST DON'T GET IT. 24 ports but you can create hundreds of vlan's??

Does anybody know of a site where a video shows using a gui on how to create a vlan port, and why it works, and explain the OBVIOUS reasons why it can be confusing. From my understanding you can isolate the ports. This is what i want to do.

You have a 24 port switch on these particular switches. you create vlan name, put a T (whatever that is)in, I GUESS port 2 or whatever you want...... is that a virtual port now, is that the actual port now. If i plug my cable does it have to be in that port, and about a thousand other fricking scenarios...........I JUST DON'T GET IT...........k, i feel better.

Re: Creating A VLAN

Easiest tutorial I could find for the Dell 2724 VLANing in 3 minutes.

The Dell 2024 is a Layer 2 switch so I would be surprised if it has VLAN capability. Layer 3 switches are required for VLANs. It also appears to be unmanaged ergo no VLANs.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

thanks for the response so fast!!!

Sorry that was a typo, it is a dell n2024.

Comment

that was awesome, and without a video. Understand a lot better than I did. Going to try now.

Comment

Video, did someone say video....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgdQC8Z9vsA
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Uh, ref Biggles77 post about Layer 2 vs Layer 3 devices: switches are layer 2 devices by design, true. But they do handle VLANs. You only need to worry about layer 3 devices when you want to route between the VLANs. If you only have layer 2 switches, then you need a router as an additional device. If one or all of your switches are layer 3-capable, then any/all can be used for inter-VLAN routing as you see fit.

Sorry to be pedantic, but I thought it needed saying.
            *RicklesP*
            MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

LOL thanks Biggles77. I actually tried that watching the video before i posted. that switch is a little diffrent. that was cool though.

I read the first part and it sounded great, made sense.

But when i tried to actually do it..... have now spent the last 2 hours trying to set up the vlan using that page. Still have no idea how to do it. I started reading all of the posts and they pretty much asked the same questions i had. Wasn't explained well in THE CONFIGURING PART.

But i sure do understand ALOT MORE than i did, and i'll take that. Still going to try to figure it out. Pull my hair out etc, etc. Just FRICKING confusing.

QUESTION.... JUST THOUGHT OF THIS.......CAN VLAN'S ONLY WORK WITH VLAN'S. Or can i make my desktop computer go through a vlan? Reason I'm asking is because in some of the reading, like the article i just read, it was talking about pointing vlan switches to the vlan switches..
              Last edited by Kobe 310; 22nd January 2015, 22:19.

Comment

trying to speed up the network by singling out certain equipment on certain ports.

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP
                  Not a problem Richard. Poorly worded post by me and your correction is appreciated. Thank you.
                  Last edited by biggles77; 24th January 2015, 11:07. Reason: Forgot to say Thank you.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Kobe 310 View Post
                    LOL thanks Biggles77. I actually tried that watching the video before i posted. that switch is a little diffrent. that was cool though.

I read the first part and it sounded great, made sense.

But when i tried to actually do it..... have now spent the last 2 hours trying to set up the vlan using that page. Still have no idea how to do it. I started reading all of the posts and they pretty much asked the same questions i had. Wasn't explained well in THE CONFIGURING PART.

But i sure do understand ALOT MORE than i did, and i'll take that. Still going to try to figure it out. Pull my hair out etc, etc. Just FRICKING confusing.

QUESTION.... JUST THOUGHT OF THIS.......CAN VLAN'S ONLY WORK WITH VLAN'S. Or can i make my desktop computer go through a vlan? Reason I'm asking is because in some of the reading, like the article i just read, it was talking about pointing vlan switches to the vlan switches..
                    Can you elaborate on what you mean?

A VLAN is a virtual lan that is configured on a switch. This LAN can be separate with no access to it, i.e. only the PC's in that VLAN can communicate with each other, or it can have a route, we have HP switches and if we require communications to other VLAN's we add a default gateway and the switch is smart enough to know where to send it, attached to it and it can communicate with other PC's not connected to that VLAN.

Comment

yes, thanks!!!

when i first read the post, (http://www.askshank.com/2008/07/dell...nd-vlan-trunk/) made sense, and so i posted it was great. Which it was!!!!, cleared ALOT of things up that i didn't understand.........Thanks Biggles77!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      But when i went to actually do it, this is where i got confused with the Dell switch.

1) "First you go into your Dell management web gui and click on VLAN membership. Here you create VLAN 2 and VLAN 3. Next you UNTAG packets on the VLANS for the specific ports"

ok, what does he mean by the specific ports. He is using the word "specific", but not being specific about what ports he is talking about.

This was the very next satement.

2)"So VLAN1 would have U by ports 1-8. I will be using PORT 1 as the trunk, so for VLAN2 and VLAN3, make sure you specify port 1 as the trunk, and it will show a T which means tagged egress packets. VLAN1 cannot cannot receive tagged packets, so you cannot make port1 on VLAN1 the T, it will remain U which means untag egress packets."

so here he mentions that VLAN1 will have a u by 1-8, since he specified 1-8, what is 2-8 supposed to be on VLAN 2&3? and i am now wondering about 9-24? Since on my exact same switch, all of the ports are marked with a U ON VLAN1, and when u create a vlan, all 24 are blank.

3)"Now this line of Dell switches are a little different. You created the VLAN you think and specified which ports are associated with which VLAN under the VLAN membership. For some reason, we are NOT done. Click on the VLAN port settings. Here you will need to AGAIN specify which VLAN each port is associated with, by entering in the VLAN # in the PVID."

you can only enter in 1 VLAN number in the pvid. Here he wants you to use VLAN 2 & 3, and put a T in port 1 of VLAN 2&3, which i did. If i go to the VLAN Port Settings, in the PVID, there is ONLY 1 PORT 1, 1 PORT 2, 1 PORT 3.....ETC TO 24. Again, you can only enter in 1 number in PVID. If i am understanding this right, again if lol, PVID 1 should have vlan 2&3. If so, that is impossible.

.................................................. ............
                      And the most confusing thing to me is, if there are multiple vlans, using port 1, ex.(vlan 2 &3 &4), and there is 1 cable plugged into port 1, how do you know wheather the cable is using vlan 2 or vlan 3 or vlan 4 etc.

Also, if i create vlan 2&3, and make port 1 tagged, does that mean 2&3 are connected together on port 1?

If i tag port 2 on vlan 2&3, does this connect the phisical switch port 1 and prt 2 together.

What is LAG MEMBERSHIP?

I guess on of the things that would help me understand is how to know what physical port # on the switch is connected to what VLAN created
                      Last edited by Kobe 310; 23rd January 2015, 16:16.

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
                        Uh, ref Biggles77 post about Layer 2 vs Layer 3 devices: switches are layer 2 devices by design, true. But they do handle VLANs. You only need to worry about layer 3 devices when you want to route between the VLANs. If you only have layer 2 switches, then you need a router as an additional device. If one or all of your switches are layer 3-capable, then any/all can be used for inter-VLAN routing as you see fit.

I read the same thing last night doing research. made me wonder who doesn't use a router? And why. Only thing i could think of is if all computers were static

Comment

IT WORKED IT WORKED

ok, so all 24 ports on switch are addressed as u before i started....now

NOTHING IS PLUGGED INTO PORTS 1&2 AS OF RIGHT NOW.

1) i created vlan 2
                          2) i made port 1 & 2 a U on vlan 2
                          3) on vlan 1(THE DEFAULT), ports 3-24 now show a u, and 1&2 show nothing.(before all were u)
                          4) On VLAN Port Settings, i assigned port 1 to VLAN 2, and port 2 to VLAN 2.
                          4) i am assuming that now THE PHISICAL ports 1&2 are separated from the rest

i plugged desktop into port 2, and another router into port 1, and it worked.

AWESOME .
                          Last edited by Kobe 310; 23rd January 2015, 18:43.

Comment

Well done. We have Dell switches in our smaller offices and it easy to configure these.

Comment

thankss wullieb1, and thanks biggles77 for the url's.

it took me accedentally shutting down a few dept.'s, but actually helped me troubleshoot correctly.

ok, so here is the roadblock that i have ran into.

i have my cisco router which gives out dhcp, and connects to the internet, on port 23.

on vlan2 i have all ports selected to u except 1&3( i get the internet, it works)
                              on vlan3 i have ports 1,3, and 23 selected to u, the rest blank(i can't get the internet)

port vlan 1 assigned to vlan3
                              port vlan 3 assigned to vlan 3
                              and the rest assigned to vlan2

.................................................. ...............................
                              not sure if this is right, but the reason i created vlan2 and made most all u's, is so i could have flexibility with port 23(the internet). You can't change vlan1.

what i realized is that the only way i could get the internet, is with whatever PORT VLAN port 23 is assigned to. YOU CAN'T ASSIGN MULTIPLE VLAN'S TO 1 PORT VLAN.

Am i right on this, or am i doing this wrong. If this is the case, the purpose i can see having multiple vlan's and you want each computer to have the internet, is to have seperate routers, for each vlan.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X