2012R2 network problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012R2 network problem

I have 12 workstations, all win7 pro, that are in the same subnet and domain. Only 3 workstations and the 2012R2 server show up in the network. I have not been able to see anything different in the 3 stations that show up in the network from the rest that do not. What is causing this problem.
    Initially, it was a 2003 server which was the DC. I added the 2012 server and switched the DHCP from the 2003 to the 2012. All stations can ping the new server and all the other stations, but do not appear in the network. Any help would be appreciated.
    Network shares are accessible to all stations.
    Last edited by sergenet; 4th January 2015, 05:17.

Re: 2012R2 network problem

Why do you need to see them in the network? What purpose would that serve?

Is Network Discovery enabled appropriately?

Comment

network discovery is enabled on all stations. need to see all stations on network because some have shares that need to be accessed by others. All NAS shares are visible to all. Like I said only 3 stations and the 2012 are visible and I cannot figure out why the rest are not.

Comment

If you name your workstations after the people that use them, or name them to reflect the data that is shared it should be pretty easy for staff to type \\workstation-name <Enter>

However, it would be better if you consolidated all your data on the server. That way staff only need to remember the name of the server when accessing data and it will be much easier to backup all your data from a single machine.

Or, install DFS on the server and create namespaces that collect the disparate shares into sensibly named namespace\folders. The data will still be on the workstations, but everything will be centrally accessible via \\namespace\ <Enter>
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

all data is on a NAS server and can be accessed by everyone. Still my question as to why only 3 stations and 2012 server are visible under Network from any machine has not been answered. If I search default shares \\computer\share the computer and share become visible.

Comment

It's a common issue. DFS will solve this as all your shares can be collected into a single virtual namespace and divided by you into appropriately named folders.

DFS eliminates the need to waste time searching for computers and then accessing their shares. You can create batch files that enable your staff to map those folders they need and because the shares will be sensibly grouped under folders they will save time that would otherwise be wasted waiting for the Network node to be populated, then going through the list of computers to find the share that contains the data they want.

Comment

Also, for what it's worth, I asked this very question when I first joined the Petri forum. My solution was to install WINS. However, after discovering DFS I realised that the ability to see all the computers in the Network node in Explorer was redundant.

[Edit]
              Whoops - it was already installed and I did not resolve it but here is the thread in case you can use some of the suggestions and you don't want to use DFS
              http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=25959
              Last edited by Blood; 8th January 2015, 12:32. Reason: Added extra info

Comment

Working...
              X