Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Site Problems

Web site problems

What do you think of this you can see below my site at http://www.sigord.co.uk has been close now for some 4 days due to the host, is this a record? Having paid for hosting in advance for 2 years last April there is not much I can doo about changing to anther host. I have no idea as the ID number of my site.

Gordon

service status
    Here you can see it there are any issues with the servers or if we have any planned maintenance on a server. If you are suffering issues
    with your site at present we may already know about it. If we do then we will add it here. Please note times are in UTC (UTS +0000)

currently open Issue(s)
    Issue: Windows 2003 Servers
    Date time: 2014-11-17 14:15:53
    Engineers have identified a new vulnerability within our Windows 2003 shared hosting webservers. Due to the nature of this vulnerability we have taken the decision to patch these servers and take mitigating action as soon as possible. We are Sony for the inconvenience this will cause but, as a responsible web hosting provider, the security of your data is integral to us.

213.171.218.127 has completed and all websites are online. Websites on 213.171.218. 112/114/179 are still coming back online as content is copied across. But progress is slow at the moment. We will provide further update as we have more information.
    Startus: current.

Re: Web Site Problems

4 days?!? Have you called them up to complain?

I'm guessing that they're patching MS14-066 and maybe MS14-068. 066 had a bug in it that could cause lockups so maybe they're dealing with that.

But give them a buzz and don't get off the phone until they have your server up (should only take 30 mins or so to fix if it is the patches)
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I don't know if 4 days downtime is a record, but I'm pretty sure this is:
      Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
      currently open Issue(s)
      Issue: Windows 2003 Servers
      Date time: 2014-11-17 14:15:53
      A web hosting company using Windows 2003 in late 2014? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and I seriously doubt such a company could be considered a "responsible web host provider".

While I'm not familiar with the laws and the legal system of the UK, I would be somewhat surprised if this provider isn't guilty of negligence and perhaps even breach of contract. There is such a thing as "due care" and "due diligence".

Comment

Is there any reason why I should not quote the name of the host here now part of another host I understand. Anyway it has been shown on my home page for years.

Comment

Stating the name of the Hoster is not an issue. It may help resolve your issue Gordon?

If they are "copying it across", it indicates to me that they are moving to a different operating system. If this is the case then it may be a DNS A Record issue. Do you have a Control Panel of some sort that you can access to manage your account/web site?

Have you called their Helpdesk/Support number to query this problem about why you have been offline for 4, now 5 days? If you don't get this done in the afternoon left to you, then it will likely be Sat & Sun down as well.

Was part of a large migration earlier this year (may have been last year) of just under 2,000 sites and I don't know of any that were down more than a hour or two. Four days is NOT acceptable IMO. If you were a business, that downtime could result in serious financial losses.
          Last edited by biggles77; 21st November 2014, 15:09.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks. The host is http://www.streamlinenet.co.uk/ you can see are being taken over by another. I can contact them through a control panel. But since they admit in their warning in my first post here they are aware of many being unable to access sites, and they still have more sites to repair, I doubt I will get much sense out of them until they claim all their sites are working.

I must admit my site is of no financial benefit to me, just a past time. But a number of regular visitors to my Daily pages of contributions have been kind to email me wondering if I am OK. Sometimes I do have explain to professional site promoters who email me I am not interested in paying anyone to promote my little site.

Comment

Please they have got you back up and running Gordon. Damn shame they took so long.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

My site seems all OK now see http://www.sigord.co.uk//Temp/SiteNews.pdf For a day though the site could be visited, yet I could not see the files there with FileZilla, so I was unable to access them to update. So in my ignorance I had to ask if that was to be expected for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                X