No announcement yet.

Cookie issue, fix was flushdns?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookie issue, fix was flushdns?

I wanted to throw this question out there hoping someone would have some details.

I recently did ESPN Fantasy Football draft with friends. Everyone in the group but one guy had logged into their account for the first time. The guy that had logged in before, got a popup that said "Cookies must be enabled to connect to this site", something like that. He was connecting via "Chrome". We were on our buddies wifi and the guy who couldn't connect usually connects from his home. I checked the settings and cookies were enabled. Essentially I ended up doing ipconfig /flushdns, and behold it fixed it. My thought was that the issue had to do with connectivity from the new network.

Does flushdns modify the session cookie/cookies or have anything to do with the cookies?
    What all is stored in the cookies?
    Why would flushdns change anything?

Anyone know of any good resources on what is stored or any good diagrams? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Cookie issue, fix was flushdns?

flushdns would have no effect on cookies.

the likely scenario is by flushing dns, when you did a lookup at the new location, it would have directed you to a different server hosting the same content.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

If that is the case, then how does the cookie have any effect on connectivity at all? Though the flag could have just been the default action of Chrome, why would the cookie make any difference?

I think because of how the scenario worked, I'm curious about the use of cookies within connectivity to the servers in general and just just this one case.

Cookies give you "state" with the site you're visiting. It is a token you give back to the site everytime you make a query. It can contain preferences, usage info, user tokens, and anything else the site wants to put in the cookie it gives you.

Like tehcamel said, the new physical network location probably needed to resolve to a different server or farm and needed an updated IP address to be routed properly.

Speculation of course.

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond