Power Monitoring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Monitoring

I'm the IT guy on a large campus. Our power supply from the grid varies and sometimes causes issues.

I'm looking for a series of monitors to plug in and record the power levels long term. Then report that data back to a central server for trend analysis.

To be clear, this is not for a server room environment. I want a series of small 120V plugs I can put in different buildings to monitor power. I want to see if the supplied voltage varies in the individual buildings. The data can be reported back via ethernet or wireless for long term reporting. 4-8 units would be fine.

I can't find anything on line. Any suggestions? Budget is a factor as we are a school.

Re: Power Monitoring

You've got 2 dirty words in your post. School and budget. I would be very sceptical about being able to meet the budget requirement. First thing that came to my mind was UPS and logging software. You can purchase 4 to 8 cheap UPS devices to connect to the areas you want to monitor and turn on the logging features which can be quite extensive even in an $80 UPS. The log files can be exported but you would have to correlate the data manually depending on the sort of log file you can export (maybe as a Tab/Comma delimited file) and import into Excel or similar.

I do not think you are not going to get anything that will take the readings you want then export it to a Server and get it to do the trend analysis. But, I could be wrong.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      You've got 2 dirty words in your post. School and budget.
      Oops, I meant to say an interactive academic facility and extremely challenging work environment.

I did find this, but you have to manually download.

http://www.acrsystems.com/products/powerwatch120v/

Comment

Originally posted by shadragon View Post
        Oops, I meant to say an interactive academic facility and extremely challenging work environment.
        Oh yeah, gotta pay that one. Click image for larger version

Name:	Beer-bar.gif
Views:	12
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	466882 Click image for larger version

Name:	band.gif
Views:	10
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	466883

Voltage Disturbance Recorder, why didn't I think of using Disturbance in my search phrases. Would have saved me a couple of hours.

$599, hell that was my whole IT budget at one IAF & ECWE location. Remember, schools and prisons are the only 2 places where you are actively under attack every day by your "customers".

Thanks for sharing your find and I would be interested in what you discover.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X