Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding the route through VPN

Hi and thanks for reading,

Situation is as follows: I have a VPN (firewall to firewall) from home to the office.

Home: 192.168.0.0/24
    Office: 192.168.1.0/24

It works pretty well but now I'd like to browse the intranet. My office has a dedicated line to the headquarters (where the intranet is hosted, it is in the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet), the intranet address is for example:

office.intranet.corp (192.168.2.2)

I'd like to know if you think it would be possible for me to browse the intranet from home without configuring or adding any route to the home firewall. I mean using my windows (7) hosts file for example, or pointing my connection DNS to the work NS server...

The problem is that the home firewall is not in my home but in my neighbour's home... and I don't want my neighbour to browse my work intranet.

Do you know if it is possible?

Have a nice day,

Jud

Re: Finding the route through VPN

I've never done this but I wonder if you can add different subnets to your lmhosts file.

Try adding:

192.168.2.2 servername

to the file. Then try http://servername-whatever-intranet-port

For example our intranet is located on a server named Atlas under port 37159. If your server was also named Atlas and used the same port for the intranet you'd type

http://atlas:37159/sites/<sitename>

But, I don't know if this will work so make sure you back up your lmhosts file before editing it.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

It is possible that the VPN setup added routes to other connected subnets that would allow you to access them. But the firewall administrator would need to configure the firewall so that traffic is allowed. It is also possible that they could limit the access to only your computer. But that would require some authentication to the firewall or static IP address on your machine.

Originally posted by Jud Aster View Post
      The problem is that the home firewall is not in my home but in my neighbour's home... and I don't want my neighbour to browse my work intranet.
      Your work is OK with this setup? I know I wouldn't be.

Originally posted by Blood View Post
      I've never done this but I wonder if you can add different subnets to your lmhosts file.
      This has nothing to do with routing. The LMHOSTS and HOSTS file statically configure where resources are located. It has nothing to do with how you get there.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks - like I said I've not done this before but knew that lmhosts tells the PC the name/address of the remote resources. We access our intranet via http://servernameort/etc and thought the OP might try it instead of using the FQDN

Comment

@Blood - No worries. I'm just trying to clarify the issue at hand and I sometimes can't communicate well.

Not to belabor the point too much but it sounds like you're confusing knowing where a resource is vs knowing how to get to that resource. FQDN, HOSTS file, server:port... all of that is where the resource is. The issue at hand is getting to the resource.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
            Not to belabor the point too much but it sounds like you're confusing knowing where a resource is vs knowing how to get to that resource. FQDN, HOSTS file, server:port... all of that is where the resource is. The issue at hand is getting to the resource.
            Aha! Thanks!

Comment

you would need to add a specific route on your local computer.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                you would need to add a specific route on your local computer.
                Maybe but not necessarily. It really depends on the VPN solution and what the network administrators have setup/allow. This issue really needs to be addressed by the internal IT department.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                X