Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lab Networking setup

Hi,

I have 2 servers running in the basement running HyperV with a total of 5 NICs which are connected to a switch and the switch is connected to my wireless router. The WAN port of the wireless router is connected to the modem. Everything works good in the basement so far but the problem is with wireless connection on the second floor. I have run an Ethernet cable from the basement up to one room on the second floor. Since the servers don't need wireless, I want to move my wireless router over to the second floor as most of the time I will be using wireless connection upstairs. So I want to know what will be best way of using wireless on the second floor and have my servers connected to the internet in basement. Do I need to buy a wired router and connect the servers to it? any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Lab Networking setup

SImplest solution will be:

Servers<--switch-->Wireless Router

i.e. just put a simple switch in the basement and the router upstairs, using the cable you have already run
    If your router is also connecting to the internet, you will need to think where the cable/phone line/whatever goes and make sure it can reach the router
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you so much for replying. Do I need to have an additional cable running from upstairs (from the wireless router) to the switch down in the basement?

Thank you

Comment

the cable modem is located in the basement and I will not able to move it for the moment.

Comment

OK, in which case you will need an extra LANcable run upstairs

Cable Modem<-->Wireless Router<-->Switch<-->Servers

Alternatively buy a cheap Wireless Access Point and have

Basement:
          Cable Modem<-->Router<-->Switch<--cable running upstairs-->WAP (Upstairs)

This may be easier than running another Cat5 cable
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

ok thanks so much, appreciate your help. Will try to look for WAP

Comment

Suggest you look at TP Link WAPs as they have a 3 year warranty and are usually cheaper than other brands.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X