Backup isp connection with my network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup isp connection with my network

I have a fairly medium biz network. Two AD's (win serv 12, 200, one exchange server (serv 2012, exch 2013), one sql server, two web servers, DNS, DHCP, etc. etc. Verizon FIOS (five IP block all in use).

I have two ISP connections from Verizon, my firewall is a SSG140 from Juniper.

well a few weeks ago, Verizon Fios & local cable company, had a few mishaps, someone cut the feed to the building and the finger pointing began, so we were down for a day and then again for nearly two days.

so my supervisor wants to have yet another "solution" to have our network up if/when this happens again.

He wants to use a "wireless" device from Verizon and connect it to the Network, hmmm, I really can't see this happening.

So my question to everyone, is what would be the best solution to have my network up and running when ISP service is completely out?

thanks in advance.
    Al

Re: Backup isp connection with my network

I might have answered my own question:

Barracuda Link Balancer might do the trick...

Comment

Originally posted by bigalusn View Post
      I might have answered my own question:

Barracuda Link Balancer might do the trick...
      What you have to ask is this:

If the link goes down what happens to your email? Is this externally hosted or internally hosted?

What happens to any websites that you have?? Are these hosted or external?

Does your current firewall allow you to add a 3G/4G dongle as an option?

Why would you have a backup link from the same supplier?

Is satellite an option?

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
        What you have to ask is this:

If the link goes down what happens to your email? Is this externally hosted or internally hosted?

What happens to any websites that you have?? Are these hosted or external?

Does your current firewall allow you to add a 3G/4G dongle as an option?

Is satellite an option?
        Exchange is internal, sites are internal, not sure about dongle. FIOS second line isn't actually our back up (supervisor doesn't get this) we use the second FIOS line for TV and our guest wireless service. Satellite in Florida wouldn't be the best option but it could work (Tampa is the lightning capital of the States). Crazy storms all the time, especially now since it's the rainy season.

Comment

im dealing with something very similar right now... i have a small office but a lot of servers. we do a lot of web apps hosted by servers in our office, therefore, we need to have these servers available 24/7 for clients that operate in time zones all around the world.

we have a comcast business class 50M connection as the main ISP here. comcast is what provides us with our static addresses for our web/FTP/VPN servers. the only problem is that every now and again, comcast likes to do business that takes this whole block down during normal business hours. not only does service get interrupted, they also lock the admin page of the router they provide to prevent you from trying to make system changes while they are pushing firmware updates or new configs...

que no es buen seņor...

as if they knew i was looking for a second ISP, i get a call from a company letting me know that they had just finished the area im working in and have just run a nice strand of MM dark fiber just waiting for me to hook up. thing is, we dont have a nice switch with gbic ports or a fiber converter...

so then i start looking and see that the market is full of new dual WAN routers and switches that support load balancing, multiple (some support 2 ISPs, others even more!) WAN uplinks, IPSEC VPN access and even PoE ports... and some of them are cheap when you consider what it used to take to accomplish exactly what these little units can do.

i have an office that only has 15 employees in this branch, but we have an entire sales team that works internationally and i must provide them with VPN access. in addition, we house a buttload (i think its about 13 web servers with multiple sites on each IIS, plus 2 sites that i havent found yet) of public facing web server. we also host an exchange server, FTP and TFTP services. we have 15 static addresses via comcast and our domain stuff is handled thru godaddy...

take a look at the Cisco RV042G Dual Gigabit WAN VPN Router. tons of features and its Cisco... or the Trendnet TW100-BRV324. its only got 4 ports and is probably too small if you have a larger LAN, but its their entry level model. you can get bigger and faster ones on google.

point being, is that for less than $500 you can add one of the prefab boxes in line with your current setup and all you gotta do is plug in another WAN uplink and your good to go.
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

wullieb1 brings up one of the most overlooked aspects of dual WAN connection planning...

seriously, if their ADSL connections are crap, why get their fiber too? even though the connection media is different, all these ISPs will have to route the data thru the same pieces of equipment which can still result in a single point of failure.

i like his point also about satalite being an option. in my city, it doesnt matter who your ISP is... at some point you will have to get on the metro copper ring/circuit and that is exactly the root of all ISPs problems here in duval county.

as of 2006 when i was still working for the city, there were 65 main copper circuits from AT&T/Bell South that made up the backbone of the city POTS lines. of those 65, ~30 were not in the best condition and when it rained, you would see them short one after another as the rain passed over the surrounding areas... you could tracert and see that all the sudden things would have to find new routes, and that resulted from a 15 hop request to a 31 hop alternative path, all cause the rain! things are a little better these days, but rain still kills the interwebz in jacksonville.

so we started using PtP 5GHz directional radios with 4G backups all in one unit. that dual WAN connection ran to the dual WAN router with the comcast connection there.. in total, 3 ISPs finally kept us online 24/7 365
            Last edited by James Haynes; 7th August 2014, 19:32.

Comment

for redundant feeds, as James has already pointed out - you really need to be fed from two different providers, ideally on two different media, ideally to two different PoPs

and different power feeds in the building from different grids, different power circuit for each CPE, plus potentially HSRP routers.. it becomes fun..

depends wheer the budget is really
              Last edited by tehcamel; 8th August 2014, 00:18.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

haha! one time i had a network that had just be redesigned to be bigger and better and faster. they had all the bells and whistles, dual WAN connections, everything clustered in HA mode with failover DCs, bridged connections with load balancing...

one of the additional WAN connections was a FTTD connection that ran to a fiber converter and then to the Cisco.

all that junk and they didnt account for the power required to run the converter. yes, the switches and modems and routers all stayed on, but without the fiber converters running it was all pointless.

Comment

The usual point of failure having two different ISPs is that they will both emanate from the same phone exchange so if the exchange goes down so do your primary and failover Net connections.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X