• Show
Clear All

• Forwarding from one network to another on same subnet

Hi,

This is going to get complicated so please bear with me

We have 2 internet connections for load balancing\failover as below:

DRAYTEK (INTERNET CONNECTION 1)
    192.168.0.X 255.255.255.0 - LAN IP Range 1
    Static 192.168.1.253 on WAN 2 PORT of Draytek which connects to Netgear below.

NETGEAR (INTERNET CONNECTION 2)
    192.168.1.X 255.255.255.0 - LAN IP Range 2
    Only client is Draytek.

If I setup a rule to forward say FTP from Internet connection 2 to the FTP server which is on LAN IP range 1 all is fine and I can connect from Internet connection 2.

The rule looks like - IC 2 -> Forward to 192.168.1.253 (WAN 2 on Draytek) -> Draytek forward to ftp server on 192.168.0.X range.

Now if I want to replace the Draytek and put a TL-ER6120 in this wont work. The TL-ER6120 has dual WAN capabilities and I plug the Netgear into the WAN port just like it was in the Draytek.

Any ideas why this is? Im guessing its a switch issue built into the devices and the Draytek manages it differently?

Re: Forwarding from one network to another on same subnet

Limited dual WAN experience in 2008 but why are you using 2 subnets? We had a single subnet and just set a rule to forward to the relevant Gateway IP if it was required.

You don't mention the Draytek model so I assume from your post it is a Modem/Router. The TL-ER6120 appears to be just a Router. Do you have a Modem attached to WAN 1 on the TL-ER6120 (or have I misread the TP Link documentation)?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Forwarding from one network to another on same subnet

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Limited dual WAN experience in 2008 but why are you using 2 subnets? We had a single subnet and just set a rule to forward to the relevant Gateway IP if it was required.

You don't mention the Draytek model so I assume from your post it is a Modem/Router. The TL-ER6120 appears to be just a Router. Do you have a Modem attached to WAN 1 on the TL-ER6120 (or have I misread the TP Link documentation)?
      Thanks for the reply biggles77 the reason for 2 subnets is because of the method the link is presented. The Draytek is a 2820 and has an adsl input for WAN 1 and Ethernet for WAN 2. So the second connection is from a router hence having its own subnet etc.

Eventually I'll have a modem on the TL-ER6120 but for now (and testing purposes) its using the Ethernet link from the Netgear (the same method as the Draytek). Im certain the problem lies with routing but I am unable to setup a static route on the TP-Link with the a matching subnet if I use the private range 10.X.X.X it accepts the route but I haven't re-configured the netgear for that subnet to test fully.

Its a strange one..

Comment

Working...
      X