Networking issue in our network!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking issue in our network!

I'm managing 100+ nodes in our school network. I'm running Server 2008 R2 Domain network. The problem I'm facing is our communications breaks with clients and clients with server and clients with clients time by time. I tried to troubleshoot my network by pinging our clients then I saw there are so many breaks in ping and drops communication and some times it works great, i tried to unplugged switches and different clients but issue is still there. How can I troubleshoot this situation? We've so many nodes and 8+ switches which connecting 4 buildings and inside there's devices. Please help me on this issue. Is there any culprit device or some virus issue?

Re: Networking issue in our network!

Sounds like it might be Spanning-Tree Protocol affecting how your switches are talking to each other. To be sure, we need more info than you've described so far.

Pls give us more detail about how your switches are connected, your address spaces, routing if any, etc. A diagram with port numbers showing the switch links would be ideal, and the running config for each port forming those links, would be best.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Hi RicklesP, Well we're using non-managed switches and its brand is tp-link. We have 4 buildings and each building has its main switch and these switches are directly connected to other switches via crossover cable. Our main office internal communication is fine but when i plug other's building switch wire then it starts crumbling and ping starts breaking and sometime it even stops communication all over including out main office. Is there any backbone wire issue or some devices are malfunctioning? I'll be waiting for your reply... Well my I'm running IPV4 and address is 10.10.1.0/24. Is there any way to identify any switch or devices that are malfunctioning?

Comment

It definitely sounds like you have a switch loop. Unmanaged switches don't have Spanning Tree capability. Spanning Tree prevents switch loops from being created. Without Spanning Tree it's very easy to inadvertently create a switch loop. My suggestion would be to map out the connections between the switches and make sure that there is no loop. Draw the switches and then draw the connections between the switches. Then trace a path through them and see if more than one path exists from any one switch to any other switch. If there is more than one path then you have a switch loop. To fix it start by disconnecting one of the paths while making sure to maintain connectivity between all of the switches. I've included a screenshot of a sample network that illustrates my point.

Comment

I agree with joeqwerty: if any of your tp-link switches have more than 1 link between any other switch, you most likely have a switching loop set up. Verify not only the switch links themselves, but make sure there's no way for someone to have (accidently or intentionally) plugged a network cable into 2 wall ports at the same time, which makes 1 switch talk to itself. I remember reading a case study about something like that during my CCNA studies.

If isolating your main building solves the problem, it's definitely one of the other 3 buildings. How your switches are connected will dictate how you want to try making/breaking connections to narrow down which building/buildings have the problem.

Pls try to put together a diagram as joeqwerty mentioned, and we'll go from there.
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X