Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to add/configure laptop to connect to Wireless Mesh Network

Hi all,

I just configured and deployed Wireless Mesh network using Cisco 5508 WLC, and two Cisco Aironet 1552e series (as RAP and MAP). These devices are working properly, RAP can communicate with WLC (wiredly) and with MAP (wirelessly-backhaul connection), as well as MAP can communicate with WLC through RAP wirelessly no problem. Note RAP and MAP both are in bridge mode and in the same BGN.

But now I am having a problem to add a Laptop with wireless connection to be part of this Wireless Mesh Network. I added Laptop wifi mac address to WLC and waited for few minutes but it not registered on WLC. I noticed on log file the laptop was trying to authenticate with RAP but nothing happen... Note Laptop wifi card set to automatic (dhcp) to get its ip from WLC if it successful..
    I thought after adding laptop mac address to WLC, WLC will do the rest (authentication and mesh config to the laptop).

So I am lost, if anyone can point me where to find how to configure/add laptop to the mesh network will greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need more details...
    Thank you in advance...

Re: How to add/configure laptop to connect to Wireless Mesh Network

if you assign a static ip to the computer, does it connetc ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hello Tehcamel,

Thank you for your reply, before I assign a static IP to the laptop I noticed on the WLC on the "Monitor > Client" tab that laptop is a client of RAP, this is weird ??? because there is no option on the RAP to assign/or broadcast existing SSID, but I can't test the link between RAP to the Laptop (other word I ran a link test through WLC it says "Failed"). Then I assign statically iP address with available IP on the Mesh Wireless management VLAN still nothing happen and plus I can't ping the Laptop from the network or RAP, but I can ping RAP, MAP, and WLC from the network (I am located about 200 km from these RAP, MAP and Laptop). Please note: WLC located in Brisbane office, RAP, MAP and Laptop on the remote area somewhere in Queensland.

So I have no idea how to verify that laptop will be part of the Mesh Node???

Any pointer how to set it up or if it requires to install any other apps will be greatly appreciated. I still got another 18 Cisco 1552e series Access point to be deployed, but I can't go ahead until I confirmed other wireless device will work with this meshing infrastructure (management pressure )

Comment

Have you tried talking to Cisco support?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes Biggles77, I think this would be my last resort to ask Cisco support for resolution.... What really bug me was after reading all Cisco docos about Mesh Network it seem straight forward, but it turns out it made my head spin around . Hmm I also need to verify with the guy who configured the Laptop as I asked for (simple wifi mac address request and some changes). See what Cisco says on Monday

Comment

Yeahh, I end up did not call Cisco for support because I discovered that the end user did not configure and provide the correct information. So I have to travel and configure it myself with our Corporate policy and it worked

I think this thread can be closed...

Comment

Working...
            X