Router & Multiple IP Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router & Multiple IP Question

I have a cable modem that has 3 static IP addresses for my office. I am looking for a router that can connect to the cable modem and use those three different IP addresses assigned to me for three different racks of equipment in different IP schemes.

What type of router will accomplish this?
    Thanks
    RC

Re: Router & Multiple IP Question

my experience with cable modems (i have a netgear cg3000 and it's ass) is the cable providers tend to hobble the firmware.
    that may not be the case with yours though.

any business-grade router should be able to do what you want - a fortigate 40 series, cisco 880 series, probably juniper.
    It depends on your requirements and throughput.
    even draytek might do it
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
      my experience with cable modems
      Optits or Helstra? Just curious on how envious I should be with your speeds.

One thing that was done in OZ was the Cable Modem would only bind to a single MAC so a Cable Router was essential if you had a multi device network. You may want to find out of your Cable Modem is knobbled like that otherwise you may need 3 Routers. I don't know of any 3 (or more) port cable routers.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

When the folks came and installed the connection and gave me the list of IP's that were assigned, all three IP's are live and come in through that single cable modem.

For the hardware question I was asking was that when that single cable modem comes in the server room, and goes to "router" which is what I need to buy that can use three different ISP IP's and go to three different independent networks.

I will check out those hardware vendors mentioned.

Thanks.

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post

One thing that was done in OZ was the Cable Modem would only bind to a single MAC so a Cable Router was essential if you had a multi device network. You may want to find out of your Cable Modem is knobbled like that otherwise you may need 3 Routers. I don't know of any 3 (or more) port cable routers.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post

optits.

i just bridged it into a draytek, which has knocked my speed down to ~40M/sec unfortunately.
          I'd prefer that, to shitty wireless and no management ability.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I got a workable solution to my issue.

The ISP assigned my 3 static IP addresses to my cable modem. From my cable modem I plugged in a "dumb box" (hub) and then the three seperate networks that needed each of those IP addresses have there own routers and each run back to the hub.

Works well for us.

Comment

Sorry Medic, totally misread your post. I took it to mean you had 3 physical connections and not the 3 IPs. As a result I was blinded into thinking about Routers with multiple physical connections like the common Dual WAN DSL Routers. My apologies.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X