Server trouble??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server trouble??

Can anyone explain this? I dunno if it is the fault of BT who maintain the phone lines here in the UK or my particular serve who I pay for Broadband and the Landline.
    But I have just found when I cannot get connected for emails or browsing such as when the lines are very busy, I can still get time outs if I use a little program some clever guys helped me create Ping Tests.

One would have thought if I cannot get connected I would not get a usual short time out and it would keep timing until I am reconnected.

Re: Server trouble??

When you ping, are you pinging a name or an IP? Pinging to a name uses DNS to resolve, same as web browsing, where pinging an IP alone just goes.

If you're pinging just an IP, sounds like DNS access may be your issue. The network connection still forwards IP traffic, but the DNS which allows web browsing, etc., isn't answering, so no name translation to IP.

If you're pinging to a name and it resolves to an IP then works, DNS is working. So then it sounds like traffic priority or quality of service settings. Are you on conventional ADSL broadband or on the newer Fiber-To-The-Cabinet (FTTC) circuits? Circuit contention may be the issue, esp. if your problems are related to specific times of day. If the ISP is over-subscribed in your area, it's a likely candidate.

I'm also in the UK. Who's your ISP?
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

My server is Orange / EE. If it helps below is the Ping Test code

'Liberty Basic Code
      nomainwin
      WindowWidth = 600 : WindowHeight = 600
      button #P, "HALT", [halt], UL, 100, 10
      button #P, "MS ", [ms], UL, 200, 10
      button #P, "YAHO", [yaho], UL, 300, 10
      button #P, "GOOG", [goog], UL, 400, 10
      open " PING TESTS" for graphics as #P
      #P "trapclose [quit]; font fixedsys; place 20 50; down"
      wait

[start]
      FLAG.ICC.FORCE.CONNECTION=1
      startTime=time$("ms")
      open "wininet.dll" for dll as #win
      calldll #win, "InternetCheckConnectionA",_
      lpszURL$ As ptr, _
      FLAG.ICC.FORCE.CONNECTION As Long,_
      dwReserved As Long, _
      result As ulong
      scan
      close #win
      endTime=time$("ms")
      elapsedTime=endTime-startTime
      if elapsedTime<0 then elapsedTime=elapsedTime+86400000 'midnight rollover

If result=1 then
      #P "\Connected; ";elapsedTime;" ms using ";id$
      else
      #P "\No connection"
      end if

timer 2000, [go] : wait
      [go]
      timer 0 : if ok = 1 then goto [start]
      wait

[halt] ok = 0 : #P "color red" : #P "\ HALTED" : wait

[ms] lpszURL$ = "http://212.58.244.66" : id$ = lpszURL$ + " www.microsoft.com"
      ok = 1 : #P "color black" : goto [start]

[yaho] lpszURL$ = "http://77.238.178.122" : id$ = lpszURL$ + " www.uk.yahoo.com"

[goog] lpszURL$ = "http://173.194.67.94" : id$ = lpszURL$ + " www.google.co.uk"

[quit]
      close #P : end

Comment

I'm not the best with code, but it looks like you're code already has the IP info for the sites you're testing, which means DNS isn't part of the test.

To verify, why not simply open a command prompt, type 'ping google.co.uk' and see what happens. If if immediately resolves to an IP address, DNS is working (whether the ping itself works or not.) If no name resolution takes place, it'll error out. That's what you need to know.

I'm assuming you'll try this when everything is working as expected, so you know what you should see, and again when you're having trouble. Compare the 2 and let us know.
        *RicklesP*

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Your first IP is not www.microsoft.com but www.bbc.co.uk.

I also don't think that code is doing a ping. I think it might be trying to connect to the website and scanning the site. I could be wrong though.

I'm with RicklesP though why don't you just open a command prompt and type ping 8.8.8.8 (Googles open DNS server.) when you cannot get a connection.

To be proper about it though you really should be pinging your gateway address first to make sure that you are connected to the network properly, is it wired or wireless and i'm presuming it is cable/adsl and not a wireless dongle.

Comment

I was not disconnected over the week end so unable to make your test using DOS. Besides how do I find this gateway address to test? Do you mean my server Orange / EE?

The only main difference between using DOS and the LB code supplied to me is below, where the DOS provides an average time, while my LB program keeps making tests until halted.

Pinging www.google.com [173.194.41.180] with 32 bytes of data:
            Reply from 173.194.41.180: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=55
            Reply from 173.194.41.180: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 173.194.41.180:
            Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
            Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
            Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 11ms

Connected; 78 ms using http://173.194.67.94 www.google.co.uk
            Connected; 16 ms using http://173.194.67.94 www.google.co.uk
            Connected; 16 ms using http://173.194.67.94 www.google.co.uk

Comment

To run a continuous ping, issue the command: 'ping <address> -t'. It won't stop until you kill it with Ctrl-C. Then you get the stats of how many, avg times, etc.

Your PC's gatway is the Ip address of the router in your home. Your next gateway is your ISP's address. Look at the various screens in your router's config; where it is assigned it's own public IP, the same screen should show you the ISP's DNS entries and the gateway address your router should send outbound packets to. Try pinging that when everything is working, and again when it isn't. If there's no difference, try going out to addresses on the Internet under both circumstances. But if there is no difference in traffic stats when pinging the ISP's gateway, then you should contact your ISP and tell them this when you report your problem.
              *RicklesP*

Comment

Code:
                ping -t IPADDRESS
                This will continually ping a server until you press Ctrl+C (as RicklesP) has already said. Typically people are not interested in how long you're connected but how long it takes to get there and back, this is the latency on the line. The longer it takes the higher the latency on the line. Note that not all servers will respond to a ping(ICMP packet)

Code:
                tracert IPADDRESS
                This will get you the path taken by your system to get to an external address. Use this to determine what gateways are in use for your system. Use this to determine where in the process the connection breaks down.

Comment

Thanks. I have been given the following info. Is any the Gateway address please?

Wireless network name MAC etc
                  BrightBox etc

wireless password Serial No. etc
                  etc

Router login details http:// etc
                  Username etc password etc

Comment

Actually if you care to trust me you can try and save a copy of my LB ping test at

http://www.sigord.co.uk//MISCL/Pingtest.exe

Note it has a HALT to stop continuing testing. The DOS test terminates after a few tests by itself of course.

Comment

Hi, Gordon

Open a command prompt and type the following:

ipconfig /all

One of the entries will show the gateway address (the address of the router that connects to your ISP's service).
                      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                        Thanks. I have been given the following info. Is any the Gateway address please?

Wireless network name MAC etc
                        BrightBox etc

wireless password Serial No. etc
                        etc

Router login details http:// etc
                        Username etc password etc
                        No.

Your gateway is your door out so will be your router address.

As Blood say's do an ipconfig and you will see the default gateway.

Comment

Thanks everyone duly noted. But actually I have not had any problems the past few days. Anyway perhaps the problems are caused by our BT as below

http://www.zdnet.com/if-your-broadba...ne-7000027928/

Comment

Working...
                          X