printing issue via print server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• printing issue via print server

Hi, I have a brother printer HL-5040 connected to Netgear Print Server PS110 via Parallel Port 1 on my home LAN ethernet network. My problem is I was trying to send a test word doc to the printer from my laptop running Windows 7-32bit but to no avail. I have added a new port on my laptop as follows: 1. Click on Start, then Devices and Printers 2. Select Add a printer 3. Choose Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer and click Next 4. Press Stop and select The Printer that I want isnt listed option 5. Select Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname 6. Device Type: TCP/IP Device. Hostname or IP address: 192.168.2.100 (ticked) Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use And click Next 7. After a few minutes passed, select Custom and click Settings button 8. Under Protocol field, select LPR. For Queue Name, Type L1 (since its connected to Port 1) 9. Next, since my brother HL-5040 isnt listed, I click Windows update 10. After a few minutes, I can see HL-5040 on the list 11. Click OK, then Next, and Click Print a test page and Finish At this point, the printer remained idle. No sign of printing. I then tried to ping 192.168.1.100 to see if its detected over the network, and the answer is I got responses back from the PS110. I know I can talk to the PS110 but why am I not able to print? Please advise me what I should do. Thank you
    Last edited by associates; 27th March 2014, 12:47.

Re: printing issue via print server

The LPR queue name must exactly match whatever queue name is hardcoded into the print server. Try lp1, or if that fails, RAW.

(Also, paragraphs are great.)

Comment

Re: printing issue via print server

Hi Ser Olmy, I'm sorry to have posted it without paragraphs. hmmm... I wonder why the paragraphs don't show up after clicking "Send" button. And thank you for the insight. I remember that I did check out for the LPR queue name set in the print server and I think it's just "L1". But anyhow, I will double check it again just to make sure. Or else, I will use RAW as you suggested if that fails. Thank you for your reply. really appreciated it. The other things that just spring to mind while writing this reply back to you is that I may also try to get myself a parallel to usb adapter that I can use to connect the brother printer directly to my laptop. This way, I can verify if the driver I downloaded from the brother website for windows 7 actually works or not. Anyway, I will come back with the result. Thank you once again.
      Last edited by associates; 28th March 2014, 00:20.

Comment

Working...
      X