Network Cable Coloring Standards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Cable Coloring Standards

Was wondering if there is a worldwide / generic standard for netowork cabling like:

Blue: Network Connection
    Green: Out of band (Ilo, DRAC)
    Red: iSCSI / SAN

Does anyone have a link that shows a standarization for network cable colors?

Re: Network Cable Coloring Standards

I've never heard of a standard, at least not one that's universal. I've seen ethernet cables come in all colors.

Comment

There's no standard and no best practice. Come up with your own color code.

Comment

Or the "Colour Blind" approach - just grab the next cable in the box
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

people usually come up with their own.

I've almost always seen blue as data. but i've also seen white for data, yellow for phones or voip, grey for data, black for voip, black for data, red for critical, red for cross-over, green for oob, green for "safe" network, red for "untrusted" network, orange for DMZ,
          there's any number of combinations.

decide what works for you.

personally I prefer
          Blue - data
          Black - Server/oob
          Red - Critical - this inludes links between switches and routers, ups etc
          yellow - voice
          green - wifi
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Likewise, no definitive standard that I am aware of. The only preference I have is like others red for untrusted/unfirewalled connections such as WAN links into the firewalls etc.

Red (or red boots) for cross-over was a sort of loose convention before auto-switching became commonplace, couldn't tell you the last time I used a cross-over cable TBH. The only other thing I try to avoid is anything that could be confused so white and grey aren't allowed near each other as old white cables tend to be grey.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Red cables make the data go faster. Click image for larger version

Name:	rockon.gif
Views:	3
Size:	381 Bytes
ID:	466795
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Red cables make the data go faster. [ATTACH]5927[/ATTACH]
                I thought the PINK cables that make the wire rack look sexy

Comment

Nah, too "girly"
                  On the other hand, carrying on with the TP part of UTP, braiding three or more cables together (must be different colours, though) WILL improve throughput

How do I know? My 9-year old daughter thought playing with a box of patch leads was brilliant - I think she got up to 9 cables braided together before I decided to stop her
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X