Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discover a generic switch

Hello all,
    i would like to know if there is a way to discover the presence of a generic switch.

ive 2 pc and 10/100 switch doing ping from A to B i would like to know that the traffic is going via the switch.

i tried to use wireshark to sniff the traffic but seems this kind of switches are completely trasparent.

any suggest ?

thanks

Re: discover a generic switch

Trace the physical cabling?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: discover a generic switch

You could listen for (R)STP BPDUs, that's a dead giveaway, but some dirt-cheap switches don't support Spanning-Tree. You could listen for LLDP packets (or CDP if you suspect Cisco equipment may be involved), but again, not all equipment support these protocols (and the protocols can be disabled. as can STP/RSTP).

The only reasonably certain way I can think of to detect a switch, is to generate BPDUs yourself. If they reach the other node, you can be reasonably certain there's no switch between them. You'd obviously have to set up software at both ends in order to do this.

But a totally passive way to detect a switch? I don't think it can be done, as switches are, as you say, essentially supposed to be invisible at the Data Link layer.

Comment

Working...
      X