STP help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STP help

These are all Cisco SF300 series switches, except the unmanaged one.
    Given the attached picture, would I be correct in the following:

- i should enable STP (or RSTP for quicker convergence)
    - the routers on GI1 and GI2 of SW01 don't matter for STP calculations as they are routed.
    - SW01 should be the Root Bridge and it should have root-guard enabled on the GI ports.
    - any access port (IE, not the GB ports) should be configured PORTFAST, or as an EDGE port
    - since the APs only have one ethernet port, there's no need for them to partake in STP and they can also be edge ports /have sTP disabled.
    thanks!
    Attached Files
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: STP help

STP is to prevent switching loops. Based on your drawing, there's no way for traffic to circulate around the same path without stopping, so STP isn't going to do anything here.

If you linked, say, SW02 to SW04, then you'd have a problem. But as it stands, your switching connectivity is safe. For future-proofing, by all means set the STP priority of Sw1 to a lower-than-default value to ensure it always will be the root. As-is, you're fine.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

unless someone plugs a switch in somewhere down the line where they shouldn't that i don't know about, then manage to plug a network lead into two ports, rather than two computers

(it happens, don't laugh
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        unless someone plugs a switch in somewhere down the line where they shouldn't that i don't know about, then manage to plug a network lead into two ports, rather than two computers

(it happens, don't laugh
        Happens all the bloody time.

We get two occurrences, either someone unplugs a laptop from the back of an IP phone and plugs the cable back into the wall, or someone plugs both ends of one cable into a desktop switch in a meeting room.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
        X