Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual RRAS Gateways - Server 2008 R2

Hi all,

I don't post often, but have to say I've found a lot of solutions here in the past. With that in mind, I'd like to put forward a situation that someone else will hopefully have already found themselves in (and therefore be able to help(!))

At present our organisation has a lot of home based workers. On a daily basis (and at any one time), I'd say we have between 10 and 20 using RRAS on one of our Servers.

Depending on the user, they connect to one of two external IP addresses (both of which run through the same Draytek router), and are then forwarded onto the RRAS Server. This has worked pretty well for quite a while.

Recently we've had the need for some staff to access a (work in progress) SQL Server based application. About 5 of these staff actually work for a partner organisation in another building. To that end, we've opened a few ports in our Firewall locked to that specific Static IP, to save them needing to create a VPN connection each time they work on the database (unfortunately creating a permanent VPN wasn't an option, and this was the best and most secure way around it. They then RDP in to do the work they need.

They've started experiencing speed issues now - as first we thought it was just the database itself, however opening any program in the RDP shows a definite slow response time - even typing something into a Notepad document can take a second or two to register, so we're pretty confident it's network related.

This is where my lack of experience comes in. What I'd like to do is to eliminate the Draytek router (and a couple of other things) from being the problem, so we can troubleshoot the issue further. The best way I can think of to do this is to introduce a second router, give a different internal IP (say, 10.0.0.2), and have one of the Internet Connections going through this router, into a second NIC in the RRAS Server.

What I don't know is how this will affect our network as a whole. Although the DHCP settings point to 10.0.0.1 as our main default gateway, what impact would adding a second gateway have? Would this cause problems with RRAS as well?

Grateful in advance of any help or assistance you guys could provide, even if it's just to provide other suggestions that might help!

Re: Dual RRAS Gateways - Server 2008 R2

Have moved this to the general networking forum as feel you will more likely get the response you require.

Comment

Apologies Virtual, I hadn't realised it was in the wrong forum!

Is there anyone out there that might be able to offer advice, please? I've not been able to find a great deal of information about this, and as we're a relatively small charity there's no money available to set up a test system before implementing any changes

Comment

Does the slow response occur when connecting from other networks as well? Not only do you need to eliminate any potential causes on your network, but you also need to eliminate any causes on theirs.

Have you experienced the same slow response when connecting from your home PC?
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Hi Blood, thanks for your response.

We don't seem to experience the same slowdown if the same connection method is used from other partner organisations (or from a home machine of mine). I know the partner organisation that is experiencing issues uses a TMG server - whether or not this might slow down RDP traffic, I don't know.

I suspect this is down to the specific partner organisation, but it would be helpful to be able to plan something as a way around it in the event that this doesn't turn out to be the case - hence looking at a second default gateway specifically for the partner organisations!

Comment

Hi

Sorry, my experience does not go that far. I've never had to create two separate and dedicated VPN access points on the same network.

How about the information here:
            http://www.mombu.com/microsoft/micro...3392-last.html

Comment

Thanks again Blood - I'll take a good look at these topics, and see if there's anything that could help out.

Just one last question for you - do you have any knowledge on Threat Management Gateways? The partner organisation we're dealing with has one in play and I'm wondering if it could be slowing down the RDP traffic on their end, especially since the complaints of slow access seem limited only to this organisation. I've not been able to find a huge amount of information about it, though.

Comment

Never used TMG.

However, if the slow access is restricted to just this organisation and other people who connect do not have these issues I would tell them. You can only spend a reasonable amount of time on this on their behalf.

So long as they know how you are set up and know that your other remote clients do not have speed issues it really should be up to their admins to investigate this.

Comment

That's fair enough. Thanks for all your assistance with this Blood!

Comment

Working...
                  X