Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerChute Setup

Hey All,

I am attempting to setup my Power Chute Business Edition software on my network.

I do not have experience with setting up UPS's to shutdown safely.

I have 2 UPS's with 4 servers that i am trying to properly configure.

both UPS are identical - SMART-UPS 1500
    Servers
    1-Domain Controller
    2-File Server - This is where i have Powerchute Business Installed
    3-Proofing Server
    4-Ripping Server

Both UPS are connected to the network and one of them are connected via a serial port too.

I can currently only log into 1 of the 2 UPS's via the web. The other device is reporting an incorrect User/Password -I have tried all of the default passwords from the internet. Any ideas how I can get this machine to reset to factory default?

x.x.x.50 works
    x.x.x.4 has incorrect user and password

That being said, am wondering where the Powerchute software is sapposed to be installed, and what software(APC CLIENT?) should be installed on each of the servers.

I am having trouble getting power chute to discover via the network.

Currently the Powerchute business edition on the file server is capible of detecting the x.x.x.50 UPS. I setup a test shutdown signal, just to try to and see what happens, and it shutdown, and shuts off the output from the UPS. Is this normal? I was thinking that is the normal process, for it to shutdown and shutdown the UPS until power is restored.

After that, I switched which UPS was connected via Serial port, and ran the test again. It properly shutdown the connected server, then killed the power to the UPS again. this time i had other servers connected and it just killed the power to them. Yikes, MY MISTAKE. At least now i know it is turning off the power to the connected SERIAL device.

Please advise,
    All advice and tips are welcome and appreciated
    Thanks
    Standard

Re: PowerChute Setup

Properly configured, your setup should work like this:
    • When utility power is lost, all servers not actually controlling a UPS should start shutting down after some predetermined interval
    • A few minutes later, the two servers acting as UPS controllers should send a poweroff signal to their respective UPS'es, and start shutting down
    • The poweroff signal will cause the UPSes to power down all load segments, again after some predetermined interval to allow the controlling servers to power down properly (on some UPSes, load segments can be controlled individually, but usually "poweroff" is an all-or-nothing event)
    • When power returns the UPSes will power opp all load segments, and the servers should come back online (make sure the power settings in the BIOS are set to allow auto power-on)

I'm not all that familiar with PowerChute, but you'll need to install the software on all servers connected to a UPS. The servers not actually controlling the UPS will have to use the network to monitor the UPS, while the "controller" servers can use either a network connection or a direct (serial/USB) connection. I don't know whether the same PowerChute software is used in both scenarios; you'll have to check the documentation.

The missing passwords are probably the reason why network discovery isn't working. PowerChute uses SNMP to query the UPS, and without the right SNMP community name (SNMP v1/v2c) or username/password (SNMP v3) this just won't work. These passwords must be changed using the web interface of the Network Management Card (default credentials are "apc"/"apc"), as such cards for APC UPSes are self-contained units with their own CPU/OS. They have a reset button behind a small hole near the ethernet connection.

Oh, and since at least some of the servers will be using SNMP to access the UPSes, make sure your network switches are on UPS power as well.

Comment

Something to bear in mind with 2 UPS and 4 Servers. The 2 UPS need to connect to the 2 non serial/USB attached Servers via the network to receive the graceful shutdown commands. What happens when you have a power disruption and your Switches are NOT connected to a UPS? How does the UPS shutdown command get to the 2 Servers not physically connected to a UPS?

I know, maybe too early in the year for riddles but I got bitten by a setup like this that I inherited many years ago. Fortunately the dirty shutdown didn't cause any file corruption but did require fsutil to be run to clean up the "dirty" discs.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you very much Ser Olmy,

This is a great big picture of what i am looking for. This will allow me to continue.

Biggles77, Big thanks to you too. These are the questions i need to be asking myself and its just great to get the help 2014 FTW!!!

So, I only have 1 serial cable. So i would like to have one setup and manage.
        I would like to have the second smart UPS connected via Network.

We do have a 3rd UPS. It is not a smart UPS and it is connected to the switch and the web server. This SHOULD(my least favorite word) provide power to complete the network commands to shut down.

Is there a problem with 1 connected via Serial, and 1 via Ethernet?
        Is it possible to have the Web server shut down gracefully, even know its not connected to a smart UPS?

Thanks,
        Standard

Comment

If you are using network attached UPSs then I'd use Powerchute Network Shutdown rather than Powerchute Business Edition.

For the UPS with the unknown password you can reset via the serial cable for the Network Management Card (NMC) which is a serial DB9 on one end and normally a 2.5mm headphone style jack on the other. There are procedures on the APC website, and also a program for performing a reset via the ethernet port on the older cards that don't have a console port.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

These UPS devices must be fairly old if they only have serial connections and no USB ones.
            What is the condition batteries like? Past experience shows they are good for a maximum of 5 years and then need to be replaced.

Maybe you could connect the switches to the 3rd not so smart UPS so you will at least then have the ability to get the shutdown command to the other Servers. It would also provide the switches some protections against power surges and spikes.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you both for your info

I have contacted APC and they advised the use of Powerchute Network Shutdown as well, Cruachan. I am working on getting that installed on all machines.

?? I am under the impression that I manage this from the webpage interface. I get to this by typing the IP address of the UPS, Am i correct??

I had success resetting the locked UPS by holding the reset button for 20-30 seconds. After that I used hyperterminal to set the IP address. APC Support walked me through it.

Biggles, Yes these are a bit old, I have recently replaced the battery in one of them, and expect to have to do the same not too far from now.

As for the switch on the 3rd (dumb)UPS, We do have it like that Great minds think alike.

I Appreciate all the info and advice, please keep it coming.
              Standard

Comment

PCNS is a web interface that runs on top of a JRE, but it is NOT the web interface of the NMC, it's on the machine that you install PCNS on. You tell the PCNS interface the IPs, usernames and passwords of the NMCs and then configure it with what to do based on the UPS state.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thank you for this. Simple advise can get the mind going in the correct direction.

This encouraged me to set up both UPS devices to handle their respective servers. Before i was going to set them all to listen to one of the UPS devices. Now that i have done this, the new way seems to be the only way.

I am finishing up on the settings and am going to give it a go at testing this weekend.

Thank you everyone.

Additional Thoughts are always welcome! I usually think of that important thing directly after its too late..

Thank you all,
                  Standard

Comment

Just wanted to shout out a Thank you again,
                    To everyone who helped.

I have my system properly setup to shutdown gracefully and in the order I want.

You guys made this possible and made me look good, which is always nice

May you 2014 year be a good one!

Thanks!
                    Standard

Comment

Working...
                    X