No announcement yet.

Network Monitoring

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Monitoring

Sorry to bother you guys, however i am student in my last year at university studying computer networking, for my final project i have decided to work on monitoring a networks hardware. Will build the network on Vmware and use the Nagios plug to get censor feedback..

To my suprise my lecture told me that it was a good final project but problem is would only take me a couple of weeks to complete as i need to work on it for 7 months.

Please can you give me pointers on how i can enhance this idea. what should i work on.

What problems in network monitoring can i look for and then try to implement a solution for it?

Many Thanks

Mr Barlow

Re: Network Monitoring

how much time is your project expected to take, when you say 7 months?

to really get a fully setup and operable nagios (or most any NMS solution) can take a huge amount of time, dependent on what you're monitoring and how you want it configured.

things like servicegroups, dependencies, not having it tell you that 5 servesr behind a router have fallen over if it';s just the router.

However - here's a suggestion.
    As an expansion on this, instead of Nagios, look at Labtech, N-able, Naverisk or Kaseya. They all cost, but if you wer to explain to the software provider you're doing it for a uni course, they might be friendly.

the reason I'm suggesting this is - not only do they monitor, but you can train/teach the NMS to actually RESPOND to alerts.
    For instance - it can tell you about low disk space on a C: Drive, then it can run a report and send you a diskusage output, or it can run a script and clean up temp folders and things like that. You're not only detecting the problem, but resolving it as well.

this might be a better option because it shows not only an understanding of the systems and what you need to monitor for best performance, but also an ability to fix issues..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: Network Monitoring

In addition (and your lecturer has probably suggested this) you could do a survey of available options, pros and cons of each, and come to a validated decision about which one to use, then use it. Most degree projects involve a literature survey of some sort, so adding in a historical view of network monitoring solutions would help bulk things out
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **