Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choose router for medium bussiness

Good day!

I have network with ~ 200 wi-fi and lan users .

There is one software router right now on Debian on very old pc and I want to do an upgrade.

By the way i'm going to upgrade all switches on access level to juniper or cisco, deviding all subnet on 5 vlans and 5 dhcp leases.

I've worked with unix systems, with soft-router vyatta and ciscos, so i've created list of routers which are suitiable by banwidth for our branch, here they are:

1.Juniper SRX 220
    2.Cisco 2911
    3.Vyatta in VM
    4.Mikrotik RB1100AHx2

The free option is vyatta, it's easy to configure and I have a lot of experince with it building ipsec tunnels with cisco routes, using firewall and so on.It's easy, it's free and it works.

The second option is microtik, it's dedicated hardware router with cli and some sort of GUI. I actually installed it in VM and tried to establish vpn site-to-site connection with cisco router by without any luck It's cheapest, it's dedicated (not VM on hypervisor) and it has 13 gigabit ports.

The third option is SRX220, it's not cheap, about 2000$, I'm not scared with it's CLI because, as i heard, it looks like vyatta's cli. It has 8 gigabit ports. It's cheaper then my favourite cisco and it has more ports.

The fourth option is Cisco. I definetly like cisco, it's easy, there are lot's of manual and good documentation for all life situation and it's really cool. And i worked with it but it's very expencive.

What option it is better to choose?

Re: Choose router for medium bussiness

What is your budget (both in time and money)?
    Also what is your timescale?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      What is your budget (both in time and money)?
      Also what is your timescale?
      hello!

budget not more then cisco 2911, i guess 2000$. I'm just need to make a technical document with requirements for IT director, so the main option is maximum uptime, minimum problems and functionality as:

- vlans
      - static routing, nat, nat overload, port forwarding
      - firewall
      - qos ( marking, queue and so on)
      - dhcp for every vlan
      - traffic sniffering would be good
      - failover with two ISP

Comment

I think for switches and routers, whatever you're comfortable with then go with that. I've used several different brands and they all seem to do what I'm looking for.

For the firewalls, I've used Watchguard a lot and it's very robust and powerful. Intuitive interface but no CLI which has it's advantages and disadvantages. You can use them in a cluster with WAN load balancing, PBR, etc. If you want the same features and power from a Cisco setup you need to get two routers and two ASAs since the ASAs can't handle PBR and load balancing.

But firewalls are also a bit of preference. I've found that Junipers are a bit limited in the midsize dept. SonicWall is decent.

Anyhoo, that's my two cents.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I rather like Watchguards myself. I think it's awful that a security appliance uses flash for it's Web UI, but other than that they are good. Jeremy: what models are you using as I'm pretty sure the rackmount ones do have a CLI, it's just the small chassis ones that don't.

We generally use HP/3com for switches, as we don't have any Cisco gurus in house and the HP/3com stuff does everything we need at a much lower price.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

can this Watchguard do QoS, vlan tagging?

Comment

Suggest you start your research here and identify a suitable model, then check out its feature set:
              http://www.watchguard.com/
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                I think for switches and routers, whatever you're comfortable with then go with that. I've used several different brands and they all seem to do what I'm looking for.

For the firewalls, I've used Watchguard a lot and it's very robust and powerful. Intuitive interface but no CLI which has it's advantages and disadvantages. You can use them in a cluster with WAN load balancing, PBR, etc. If you want the same features and power from a Cisco setup you need to get two routers and two ASAs since the ASAs can't handle PBR and load balancing.

But firewalls are also a bit of preference. I've found that Junipers are a bit limited in the midsize dept. SonicWall is decent.

Anyhoo, that's my two cents.
                Slighlty OT, but all Watchguard XTMs do have a CLI. On the small desktop form factor devices it's accessed via a custom serial to USB cable, DB9 to RJ45 on the rackmounts. SSH is also available for all devices. Check the CLI reference guide at the link below.

http://www.watchguard.com/help/documentation/xtmv.asp
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                  Slighlty OT, but all Watchguard XTMs do have a CLI. On the small desktop form factor devices it's accessed via a custom serial to USB cable, DB9 to RJ45 on the rackmounts. SSH is also available for all devices. Check the CLI reference guide at the link below.

http://www.watchguard.com/help/documentation/xtmv.asp
                  Good to know. It's been awhile since I checked. Thanks!

Originally posted by r1sh View Post
                  can this Watchguard do QoS, vlan tagging?
                  Definitely. Check out their website and have a look at the documentation. It should answer most of your questions.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

ASUS has great reviews, go for the ASUS if you have no concern with budget

Comment

Originally posted by ranuy View Post
                      ASUS has great reviews, go for the ASUS if you have no concern with budget
                      Meanwhile, in some parallel universe, those with no concern with budget go for CISCO
                      Is there by any chance some confusion between ASUS and ASA ?
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Working...
                      X