Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen internet data allowance

Dear all,

I think that I need a very skilled technician.

My internet monthly data allowance disappeared and of course the service provider is intentionally not proving any answer.

The logs show data was downloaded (something like 15GB in 2 days!) while the local exchange service was affected by an acknowledged outage.

Same thing happened during two billing periods.
    I reported the issue to the internet service provider and I was told that they would "monitor" the service then things happened again this time about 17GB disappeared!
    The service provider is not helping at all, actually they even charged me so I need to fight this.

I was thinking if this is something to get Police involved with since the issue regards something stolen that I paid for.

There are methods to uncover this activity, specific technical questions I can ask to the service provider since they are obviously denying all?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Stolen internet data allowance

I'm not sure I understand. Are you being charged per GB by your ISP? Where is your Exchange server? Who and how is this data usage conveyed to you? What kind of firewall/routers do you have?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      I'm not sure I understand. Are you being charged per GB by your ISP? Where is your Exchange server? Who and how is this data usage conveyed to you? What kind of firewall/routers do you have?
      Thanks Jeremy,
      • Yes charged per GB, 20GB per month allowance.
      • I'm in Australia.
      • Data is renewed every billing period, the internet service provided manages the service.
      • No firewall at all, the computer is attached directly to the router.

As I said the issue happened during the exchange outage.

Comment

Presumably you are talking about "telephone exchange" not "Microsoft Exchange"

If you can document that the phone exchange (and presumably ADSL) was not working but data was being used (but no way could it be used by you), your ISP should not have a leg to stand on regarding billing etc.

Could the fault causing the exchange outage be actually pulling down data of some sort?

(thank <deity> I am in a land of "unlimited" data connections)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Presumably you are talking about "telephone exchange" not "Microsoft Exchange"
          I don't understand the meaning of this, but my computer is connected to internet through an adsl service.

If you can document that the phone exchange (and presumably ADSL) was not working but data was being used (but no way could it be used by you), your ISP should not have a leg to stand on regarding billing etc.
          That's right and how can I do it?
          The isp show that there was a connection (in some instances no connection at all) although there still was a fault on the exchange.
          They refused to acknowledge my complaint because they said "there was connection = you downloaded the data".

I know the isp is totally dodgy and irresponsible and I'm 100% sure I didn't download that data, they said they would monitor the service but they didn't, the "stealing" happened just during the outage.

Could the fault causing the exchange outage be actually pulling down data of some sort?
          It could be, I believe the isp know the answer but they act bully and deceptive.
          If I can prove my theory, it'll show how poor and "tight" are those puppets losing face for a couple of tens of dollars!

(thank <deity> I am in a land of "unlimited" data connections)
          Lucky you, here we deal with a closed and bully market.
          Just right now the Government started questioning world IT corporates for alleged price gouging!

Comment

Microsoft Exchange is a corporate email solution but is not relevant to your issue.

Can the telephone company (since the ADSL runs over their wires) confirm in writing that your line was not working between <start time> and <end time>
            If they will do that, but data was being used, that cannot be your problem (I would think)

Are you sure the outage affected internet as well as phones?

And can you threaten to move to a better ISP if they don't sort this out properly?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Microsoft Exchange is a corporate email solution but is not relevant to your issue.

Can the telephone company (since the ADSL runs over their wires) confirm in writing that your line was not working between <start time> and <end time>
              If they will do that, but data was being used, that cannot be your problem (I would think)

Are you sure the outage affected internet as well as phones?

And can you threaten to move to a better ISP if they don't sort this out properly?
              Thanks Ossian,

The phone company which own the service is the wholesaler who sold the service to my isp.
              They would never answer my question since I'm not a customer.
              My isp as I said in NOT telling the full story.

Comment

My head is in the corporate world...
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Send TPG a registered letter with an Advice of Reply stating that you are taking this matter to the Ombudsman since you are not getting your problem resolved through them. Depending on your State, contact the Consumer Affairs and the ACCC, infact, when you sent the letter to TPG, cc to Consumer Affairs, ACCC and the Telecommunications Ombudsman and they just might sit up and do something bout your complaint. (click the underline and bold words for the appropriate links)

If you consider the "isp is totally dodgy and irresponsible", change ISPs.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    Send TPG a registered letter with an Advice of Reply stating that you are taking this matter to the Ombudsman since you are not getting your problem resolved through them. Depending on your State, contact the Consumer Affairs and the ACCC, infact, when you sent the letter to TPG, cc to Consumer Affairs, ACCC and the Telecommunications Ombudsman and they just might sit up and do something bout your complaint. (click the underline and bold words for the appropriate links)

If you consider the "isp is totally dodgy and irresponsible", change ISPs.
                    Lol why did you mention TPG??

I won't tell the internet provider name because I'm looking for an independent advice.
                    My theory is that the isp "deliberately" downloaded the data and left me with no service, they wanted me to leave because I made many complaints to the Telecommunication Ombudsman.
                    What could support my theory is that:
                    • The data disappeared just during the exchange outage and in two different occasions, this never happened before.
                    • I informed the isp and a representative told me that they would monitor the service, then the data disappeared again, where is the monitoring???

What I'm looking is a way and what can I can ask like logs and/or stats which can show who stole my data.

Comment

I repeat, change your ISP.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        I repeat, change your ISP.
                        That was done long time ago.
                        So is there a way I can ask logs or stats to the isp which can show where my data was downloaded from?

Comment

The only way (AFAIK) is to speak to the ISP and ask for traffic logs, which should show at least the amount of data against time. They may also keep more traffic information (source and destination IP for example). Check if they have some government requirement to keep this information (prevention of terrorism?)

Unless the ISP is subject to some legal obligation (Freedom of Information, for example) they cannot be made to give you this information, so if you have already p***ed them off, they are unlikely to help you. In that case, your only options will be:
                          a) Forget about it and move on
                          b) Legal action to recover your money -- no idea how much we are talking about or the potential cost of the action.
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

The only way (AFAIK) is to speak to the ISP and ask for traffic logs, which should show at least the amount of data against time. They may also keep more traffic information (source and destination IP for example). Check if they have some government requirement to keep this information (prevention of terrorism?)

Unless the ISP is subject to some legal obligation (Freedom of Information, for example) they cannot be made to give you this information, so if you have already p***ed them off, they are unlikely to help you. In that case, your only options will be:
                            a) Forget about it and move on
                            b) Legal action to recover your money -- no idea how much we are talking about or the potential cost of the action.
                            Thanks Ossian,
                            they would "never" give me the right information because (if I'm right) they did the trick with the intention of charging me, leaving me without a service, pissing me off and let me go.
                            This has became a matter of principle and the only way I can fight it is going through the Court.
                            I could risk it because I'm 100% sure about what I'm talking about, just I need to find evidences and spare some money for a legal action.
                            But the prize would be very high, it's not only about money ($50 charges + add later legal action reimbursement) with the legal action I can name and shame them.

Comment

just go and name and shame them on whirlpool....
                              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                              X