No announcement yet.

VPN dropping, router/internet problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN dropping, router/internet problem?

Hey guys,

We have a western Canada office, which use a DIR-615 with an ADSL line. They are 4 in the office, using microsoft exchange, internet, and two of them use a VPN connection (and one of these use the ERP whiting the VPN).

the VPN crash, remote gateway stop pinging, etc... Last 2 weeks, it was working perfectly. I can confirm that it is not the remote site that has an issue, as our East office has an IPSec all day long working, no issue, and Managers use always VPN and it never disconnect. (3 ADSL line + Cyberoam firewall)

I was thinking that the DIR-615 isn't able to handle so much traffic but like I said, last 2 weeks, they were all there and it was working fine.

Any idea?

Thanks

Re: VPN dropping, router/internet problem?

Is it a random crash or connection drop?

Have you tried trace routes from the pcs in question?
    "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

The DIR-615 is consumer-grade equipment, but it isn't too bad if the firmware is recent. However, I've had a lot of trouble with D-Link power supplies. A bad PSU could cause the unit to spontaneously reboot, and the result would be problems like the ones you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Managor View Post
        Is it a random crash or connection drop?

Have you tried trace routes from the pcs in question?

the remote subnet doesn'T answer to ping (so no apps working)

I'll give it a shot to see.

@Ser Olmy

I'll try to update the firmware first.

Thanks

Comment

Get rid of this DIR-615 Internet router. You should not use such cheap equipment for business purpose, because it is not so stable to be run 24/7. My suggestion is to install Cisco ASA 5505 with cheapest license plus some Cisco Aironet access point like Cisco Aironet 1130 AG on the remote site and you will forget about any network problems there for years, unless ISP will cause it. If you decide to try it, make sure you buying Aironet with the right IOS - AIR-AP1131AG-A-K9, not AIR-LAP1131AG-A-K9.
          I installed it in couple offices myself and even use that two devices for my home network ) It is vary stable and designed for small to medium business.
          If you buy new equipment, it will cost you about $500 in US and about half of the price for used. Plus you need to know how to configure it.

Comment

why would you jump straight to cisco?
            why not consider Fortigate, or Draytek, or Mikrotik?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

We use Cyberoam Appliance over the 2 other site. we'll look maybe for the cheaper firewall, sine they woN't be really more than 4-5 but for business.

I would say under 500$ that would be enought, no?

Comment

"why would you jump straight to cisco?
                "
                "We are not rich enough to buy cheap things."
                Seriously, why you need to spend your time and money on not the best equipment if price difference is not big? I spent myself a lot of time on it and finally regret that did not buy the Cisco initially. Only question is if people can configure the Cisco.
                And, yes, it will cost you about $500, $263 for Cisco ASA plus $250 for Aironet
                http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-ASA5505-.../dp/B000O0Z8GC
                http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Aironet-...-AP1131AG-A-K9

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by tAnk View Post
                  "why would you jump straight to cisco?
                  "
                  "We are not rich enough to buy cheap things."
                  Draytek, FortiNet and Mikrotik make high quality equipment. So does ZyXEL and several other manufacturers. Even D-Link has a high-end product line (although they still need to work on sourcing good capacitors for their PSUs).

Cisco is a bit like the IBM of the past, when the saying went "no-one ever got fired for buying IBM". And sure, Cisco generally makes good stuff, but the main point should be not using consumer-grade equipment in a business environment, be it cheap D-Link home routers or re-branded Linksys equipment with a Cisco logo.

Comment

Working...
                  X