design for a serviced office/deskrental

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• design for a serviced office/deskrental

Someone's approached me to discuss this option with some spare space they have. It's all ready fully cabled, very professionally done I might add. There's no switches or routers. It's all on one single floor. I did notice Fibre cables in the rack, but not sure what they go to. I'd do a more thorough analysis before taking it on.
    about 100 ports in total I think

My design would be:

A stack of relevant switches. Not sure if I'd need the 500 series, or better to go direct to Catalysts.

Either get stacking switches, or use 10GbE trunks between them.

Connect each floor port to a specific switch port. Create an individual VLAN for each tenant.
    Assign that VLAN to their relevant ports.
    Disable Inter-vlan routing
    Disable VLAN1.

Have DHCP provided by a single server and issue addresses all in the same subnet (may not be able to do this?)

route it all out over the internet, potentially via pfsense or something that can do accurate usage monitoring and Quality of Service.

This hasn't taken int consideration VoIP requirements although that could be added fairly easily with a relevant IP PABX module.

Am I roughly on track, or could you think of better ways to achieve?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: design for a serviced office/deskrental

For switch type, stay away from the CE500s. They're OK for a single-office, small-user-footprint install, but would be useless for your setup. Go with full Catalyst if possible. StackWise cables may be extra.

You'll have to have a DHCP scope per vlan, since vlan = subnet. If your switches are L3 capable, they should be able to handle the load for the # of clients you're expecting.

The rest sounds fine, from a management point of view. As long as you have access to a good internet pipe, you're golden.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

I am suggesting you to read about private VLANs:
      My link was there, but forum did not allow me to post it because I am too new member ). You can find it yourself by "private vlans" keywords.
      Deploying it will give you some benefits like you could use the same VLAN for all tenants, or lets say just one VLAN per floor.
      It will require to spend probably more $ on equipment, but you will built professional network and will avoid tons of VLANs and subnets.

Comment

hi tank, thanks for your reply. You've got 5 posts now, so should be able to post your link
        I've had a quick look and it seems you might be right on the money. Now.. to find a whitepaper

rickles - yes, i thought stay away from 500 series as well, thanks. for Private VLANs as suggested above, looks like I might need the WS-C3560G-48PS-E

3560 - 48 10/100/100 PoE ports, Advanced IP routing, 4 SFP ports for uplink.

Not sure if they are stackable though.
        Last edited by tehcamel; 18th July 2013, 00:41.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Cisco prod specs show the basic 3560 isn't stackable, but the 3560-E is. The 3750s all are; I've got several different flavors and stackwise ports are as standard.
          *RicklesP*

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

cool.. thanks
            if I understand correctly (I've never fully dealt wit things at this level) - by stacking all the switches using a dedicated stacking cable i wouldn't need to use trunking ports between the switches, correct? It all just acts as one fabric ?

Comment

Yeah you don't need trunk ports between the switches if you use the stack cables.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Correct. Stackwise means dedicated connection cables at the rear of the boxes (#1 goes to #2, #2 goes to #3, #3 goes back to #1). When they boot, they become 1 logical switch, so only 1 management IP. Assuming 3 48-port devices, the port assignments would be labelled as 1/0/1 - 1/0/48, 2/0/1 - 2/0/48, 3/0/1 - 3/0/48 and so on.

The only trunk ports are those which connect any member of this stack to another device (router or switch). And etherchannels work the same as always, so you can set up redundant trunks between this stack and any other device. Two such stacks with multiple trunks as etherchannels gives you loads of failover protection.
                *RicklesP*

Comment

i did the maths on this and suspect they may not be willing to go for it. Although as an educational facility if they can buy the cisco gear cheaper than i can get it through my reseller it may be worth it.

So I thought I'd look ino software implementations of PVLan - like vyatta, or untangle or similar.

none of these do it.. dell powerconnect gear would do it..

and would be cheaper.. but yea, still upwards of 10K just for a single switch, without a router.

Comment

Working...
                  X