Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do with all this stuff, advise needed

Hello,

We have to set-up a high availability environment for a special project. We have inherited some hardware and I don't know what would be the best way to use it.

Premises:
    - 10 users working on the same project
    - Centralized storage
    - High availability, fastest recovery time

Hardware on hand:
    - 2 Proliant DL380 servers
    - MSA2000 (storage capacity 10TB)
    - SAN switches
    - 1Gb switch 24P for LAN connectivity

I believe the best way would be server replication (Windows file server), but what else, storage replication?, how to use the MSA2000?

Something like this?

SERVER1-----SERVER2 (failover?)
    |
    SAN SWITCHES
    |
    MSA2000 (sharing the same storage?)

How you'd configure it to have a robust and fast recoverable scenario?

Thanks for reading and I keep looking for your advice

Jud

Re: What can I do with all this stuff, advise needed

two servers with your choice of ESX/ESXi/HyperV configured in a HA/Failover cluster.

Attach the two servers via the SAN Switch to the MSA.
    Carve up the data store on the MSA into relevant logical volumes which you prevent to the HA cluster

create VMs on the HA Cluster.
    you could create just file servers, or you could create file servers AND desktops.

of course.. to be fully HA, you'd need two SAN switches, so each server could have redundant paths back to the shared storage..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thank you so much Tehcamel!

It really sounds complicated to me. I have no experience on virtualization, why do you recommend it?, I have the required hardware in hand.

I was thinking on Windows Server 2012 as the OS, I guess it'll be OK

We also have two SAN switches for HA

Cheers,

Jud

Comment

i suggested Vt becuse you didn't tell me about the workload - if you only need one actual server, then yes you could probably setup just a cluster, with a CSV attached to the same SAN back end.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks tehcamel,

Well I guess workload is not too big. The file server should be giving service to only 10 users, they'll be working in parallel but everyone with their own files.

The same server should also have SQL installed but it'll be used only sporadically from one of the users. This will connect to a remote server for database replication.

I was thinking on Windows Server 2012 (standard roles + SQL)

Do you think I need something to back-up the SAN?

Jud

Comment

What redundancy does the SAN have?
            This will not replace backups as they are to prevent a major disaster, but may affect the frequency if you can balance spare drives against the cost of backups.

But basically, you still need to backup and keep the data safe!
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X