Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows : Map-a-network-drive to a remote Shared-Folder (on QNAP NAS) using OpenVPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows : Map-a-network-drive to a remote Shared-Folder (on QNAP NAS) using OpenVPN

Provided my lack of networking knowledge, I've been struggling with this issue for quite a few days now :

I have a QNAP-TS212 NAS on which i've created a shared-folder (mostly excel files). All the computers in the local network (windows) are able to access it without any problem.

Now, i want to access that shared-folder remotely (windows client), so :

1. I enabled OpenVPN (and PPTP) in QNAP admin.

2. Installed OpenVPN on the remote client.

3. Applied the configuration file that the QNAP generated - Configuration (openvpn.ovpn) :

Code:
    client  
    dev tun
    script-security 3  
    proto udp  
    remote  ***MY_WAN_IP***  1194  
    resolv-retry infinite  
    nobind  
    ca ca.crt  
    auth-user-pass  
    reneg-sec 0  
    cipher AES-128-CBC  
    comp-lzo
    4. OpenVPN connect successfully from the remote client.

5. Now, here's my problem : I can ping the NAS (got IP 10.8.0.1) from the remote client, But when i try to map-a-network-drive, i don't see the shared folder or the NAS or any of the other computers in the network...

I checked - all computers are in "WORKGROUP" workgroup.

I'm probably missing some basic knowledge, So - any help would be greatly appreciated !

Many thanks.
    Last edited by spelltox; 25th June 2013, 12:42.

Re: Windows : Map-a-network-drive to a remote Shared-Folder (on QNAP NAS) using OpenV

how are you trying to map the network drive? hostname, FQDN, netbios name or IP address ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Windows : Map-a-network-drive to a remote Shared-Folder (on QNAP NAS) using OpenV

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      how are you trying to map the network drive? hostname, FQDN, netbios name or IP address ?
      Thanks for your reply mate,

I press "Map Network Drive", then the "Browse.." button - which display all the PC's in my network (but i see only my local PC and none of the other remote PC's).

Comment

Originally posted by spelltox View Post
        Thanks for your reply mate,

I press "Map Network Drive", then the "Browse.." button - which display all the PC's in my network (but i see only my local PC and none of the other remote PC's).
        Do not use the Browse-button, just enter the UNC path manually:
        \\10.8.0.1\sharename

or if there is a A-record for the NAS in its own network and the connection from your remote pc can use that dns server over vpn for lookups (or else if you added an entry in the local hosts file) you can use the full dns name (that is not the short netbios name) of the nas as well: \\name-of-nas.domain.local\sharename

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
        X