Advice on adding a second internet connection to a business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on adding a second internet connection to a business

We have an ADSL line with a download speed of around 6.5Mb/s, with a static ip address.

I have been asked to look into adding a second internet connection as our current connection is sometimes unusable due to clients sending us large files via email etc.

So, I'm thinking of getting a Draytek Vigor 2830 Router which has 3 WAN ports (2 cabled, 1 for a 3g USB dongle) and using the load balancing and QoS features. I have zero experience of using these, so...

Load balancing, does this allow a user to download files using both connections simultaneously? How effective are the QoS options?

Users currently use OWA and remote access to work from home. Will having two ip external ip address affect this in any way?

Any other pitfalls that I haven't forseen?

Were also looking at Shareband, but they want 20 per line per month. Is this just paying out for something that can be achieved internally?

Thanks

Re: Advice on adding a second internet connection to a business

no - you won't get the combined speed of the two circuits.
    QoS will obviously work however you configure it - if you tell it to prioritise Voice (the common use) then it'll make sure there's always a certain amount available for voice.

If I were you, I'd get a second connection, then use policy to force all user traffic over the second connection.
    All inbound traffic would remain as it is, so there'd be no difference to the people working at home - they'd have no need to know about the second connection.

I had this working for a little while with a draytek 2820.. let me take a look at it and come back to you..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Advice on adding a second internet connection to a business

wan > load balance policy
      edit index 0
      enable , protocol any , binding interface WAN1 (or 2, dependent)
      src IP start (192.168.5.1) src ip end (192.168.5.1)
      remove tick for "auto failover"

then, create index 1
      enable, protocol any, binding interface WAN2
      SRC IP Start (192.168.5.2) src ip end (192.168.5.254)
      leave tick for autofailover

that would push all traffic for 192.168.5.1 over the WAN1, everything else over wan2
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
      X