replacing CAT5 with fiber...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing CAT5 with fiber...

so i have this skool i maintain. they are somewhat behind as far as technology is concerned, so im trying to get connectivity across their campus.

they pretty much have a campus made out of quad-wide trailers. the wiring was installed when the place was set up and runs in conduits under the sidewalks and such. thing is, there was some kinda fire and all the runs to this one building got fried.

i find this out after i set up a second lab and dropped in a switch... no link. better yet, i go to test the line and it has AC voltage running across it. i didnt need a meter, my hand clamped down on it pretty good...

so what im proposing is that i dont run anymore CAT. i would have to replace 20 CAT runs to get the building wired again...

im thinking im going to run a piece of fiber into each building and put a gbic or fiber convertor. so how do i determine how and what type of fiber to run? i have worked with fiber, but usually in a pre-existing scenario. this place has no fiber at all...

each building has a run of 15 to 20 CAT 'home-run' lines. is a single strand enough to replace all that CAT? they arent really bandwidth heavy or anything, they just need access to the file server and web...

single mode? multi-mode? idk...

even with all the converters and fiber, i still think its cheaper than running 2000 feet of CAT.

any caveats, comments, suggestions, input that might be worthwhile during the planning process?

thanks guys,
    j
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Re: replacing CAT5 with fiber...

I would hire a data wiring company or at the very least have them come out and give you an estimate. This way the job gets done right.(Not saying you would do it wrong but those guys run cabling for a living). Yes fiber is expensive and the gbics can be pricey as well. I assume this would have to be in their budget so first thing would be to get an estimate on fiber and cat 5 and explain the pro's and con's. Ultimately it would be up to the school I would think depending on the budget they have.

The way I would do it is have a fiber trunk run to each building then run cat 5/6 for the end hosts.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Due to the "minimal" cost of fibre now, consider at least 2 runs per location (had a school that threw 8 into the conduit that was being covered over. Guess they wanted a couple of extra pull throughs ). That way if you lose one you still have the other. Of course it doesn't help if someone has a digger.......

That is shocking what happened to your hand, revolting even and you didn't even have ample warning. Did you feel like going ohm after that? (and along comes Tom with some more)
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Resistance is useless?

Farad-nough. you seem to have covered most of the rest, but I'll leave the topic live for now
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

agreed. i was just wondering if it was gonna be PITA...

i will set up to have 2 runs back to base for each building and then connect the stations from the local switch with CAT in each building.

the only thing i dont quite understand is the multimode and single mode stuff. i can wiki that and call someone that does fiber for a living to sort that out.

and ohm wasnt the first thing that came to mind! hahah, im gonna use that one...

im done now, you can squash it. thanks!

jh
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

I was just wondering if you got turned on by your exceptional epic electron encounter, eh?

My understanding (and limited it is), Multimode is cheaper and is for short distances. Singlemode is more expensive and is used for long(er) distances. In all my locations we run multimode. Don't forget you will need the appropriate fibre ports on your switches and make sure the cablers run the fibre to a rack. Had some cowboy run the fibre to a plastic box that they then double sided taped to the top of the top switch in the cabinet. Bloody tossers. If using 2 runs then it isn't necessary to have both terminations connect to the switch. We normally just patch on and if it stops working move fibre patch lead to the second connection (but we have fairly low traffic throughput). Also be aware, if you aren't already, that fibre has a MUCH larger bend radius than the humble CAT5 cable so don't let it get squashed when you close the cabinet door.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X