UK BT Wi-Fi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK BT Wi-Fi

Does anyone know the range of possible Broadband speeds likely to be available by using the UK BT Hotspots where available?

I am stuck on only around 3 Mbps and unwilling to lash out on expensive fast Fibre optic broadband I do not need.

Re: UK BT Wi-Fi

WiFi hotspots are not the same as fibre broadband

ADSL or Fibre is a link to your home, giving you bandwidth for yourself.

WiFi hotspots are a public WiFi network piggy-backing on other peoples broadband so you will get the same speed as they do, but shared between multiple users
    Read the first paragraph here: http://www.btfon.com/
    I wonder how many people are a hotspot without realising it, and what would happen if a casual passer by used their WiFi and IP to do something they shouldn't....
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello. If you was looking to find out which speeds you could get based on your postcode then you could use something like this.

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/postcode_checker/
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

I am very sceptical of speeds claimed by sites and servers, that often cannot take account of where you live, your distance from the exchange and the state of old phone lines like here.

Wiki claims Wi-Fi presumably also used by Mobile phones as well as PCs can deliver speeds of up to 20 to 40 Mbps. But when using a PC with WI-Fi are you expected to pay for the call like a mobile phone?

Comment

If you are using a 3G (or 4G) dongle you will pay -- either as a monthly download bundle or per Mb

WiFi (not 3G) is normally free but again depends a bit on where you are- - you may be sent to a web page and then asked for money

Are you looking for home internet -- if so the cheapest way is ADSL or Fibre (and home WiFi if you want)-- or are you looking for internet on the move?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Wifi hotspots are places like mcdonalds where u pay per hour.
            I think you are referring to the 3g / 4g mobile phone data network.
            As long as your area has good 3g/4g coverage and you get an all you can eat data plan then you are ok.
            Going from https://explore.ee.co.uk/coverage-checker hastings only had 3g coverage.
            My mobile phone is 3g with an all you can eat data package, the best i have ever got it 10mb/s.
            What I normally do is use either the teather or wifi hotspot my phone with a laptop to download/stream media.
            Maybe in the future I will replace my home ADSL with mobile data 4g.
            Hope this helps.
            Attached Files
            Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
            I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
            MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Thanks Ossian

All I am looking for is a small increase in speed from my tiny 3 Mpbs, without paying for expensive Fibre. Though one day being on my own and nearly 80, if I have to go into a home to avoid having to use their phones, I was wondering if I could use BT Wi-Fi

Like I suspect many others, I was assuming as a result of all the £millions paid to BT to provide more fibre broadband. it might result in most of use seeing at least a small increase in speed with little or no extra cost. But only the minority mostly wanting to download endless TV, Music and videos appear to benefiting fro fibre.

Comment

Working...
              X