Internet routing question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet routing question

OK, so this may be beyond the scope of these forums, but I have to ask.

For some months now, I've been having a load of grief trying to keep up with the forums here, because the links keep timing out, randomly. Sometimes a single retry will give me the page I'm after, sometimes I might have to wait for a timeout and retry 2 or 3 times. There's no consistency between what I'm trying to access vs whether I'm succesful, just the Petri.co.il site as a whole. I haven't seen any comments about server-side issues, so I started with my ISP.

Due to a lot of changes in the UK b-band infrastructure, there's a lot of work going on all over the country. My ISP (Plusnet) has had it's share of router fixes/upgrades/etc. I've run a couple of tracert tests to this site, and the results are attached for the latest one. Basically it looks like the traffic inside my ISP's system is fine, but when it gets handed over to the next hop, they take the traffic and send it through a wormhole which may or may not get here. I've had a look at nslookup results for the ip-only entries, but they come up blank.

Anyone have any experience with taking on a network agency to whom they pay nothing, but may be mishandling the traffic they process? I'm going to take a stab at calling the European tech support offices for Level3, but figured I'd ask for supportive feedback here as well. Thanks.
    Last edited by RicklesP; 8th July 2013, 21:06.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Re: Internet routing question

Have you asked PlusNet to look into it? -- IME they are pretty good on the technical side and their call centre are quite happy to talk nerd (or even geek) with you rather than running through a "have you rebooted your PC" type script

Are you on a business or a home connection?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Home connection, and the tech support staff have already told me that they've taken this as far as they can. I've spoken 'geek' with them in the past, before I even signed up with them, but the best they could suggest now was to change my DNS settings to see if a different lookup answer would somehow change how my traffic was routed. But if the IP is the same, regardless which DNS server gave me the answer, it's still down to routing maps to that specific IP. So no, that didn't work.

They've had a couple of service tickets open for a while which are closed now, relating to major BT work affecting Plusnet customers, so I waited patiently to see whether any of that affected my traffic. Sadly, no help.

And it's only this site I seem to experience this with. Traffic sniffing with Wireshark shows the requests going out, and when the pages refresh, the incoming traffic shows as well. But when a page times out, I'm not seeing anything come back, so I can't see that it's anything on my end that hangs the browser. So I'm stumped, and so is Plusnet. Right now the finger points at Level3.net.
      *RicklesP*

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

if it helps - my tracert drops out around 216.182.236.0 subnet
        I suspect the routers are configured to drop icmp traffic.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yeah, I figured that as well. What I don't get is the disparity in pings for those devices which DO answer. I repeated the tracert test from my work system, which is a totally different architecture and ISP. It's a 30Mbps commercial synchronous circuit, but I got very similar results. What it boils down to is this: after my home ISP or business ISP hand the packets over to a 3rd party, the ping times go stupid, immediately. Soon as the traffic leaves the first-level ISP, times go out the window, even in the same geographical region. If anyone's interested I can post the work-based results so they can compare, but it looks like the overall internet routing to the Petri site public IP is broken, because from the UK at least, contact is not consistant. If I hadn't seen these test results, I'd say the site servers were having issues, but it appears that someone doesn't want anybody to know how/where the site is hosted. Trouble is, it's also not regularly available.

This all started a few months ago, so if anyone associated with the admin of the site/servers knows of any major hosting changes, I'd say something isn't right.
          *RicklesP*

Comment

Working...
          X